Advanced DMZ issue of Giga Hub (HH4000)

stan25zh
Contributor II

Hi,

I was trying to configure the Advanced DMZ on the Giga Hub, and there is an issue which causes the host cannot access Internet even a public IP was assigned.

The problem is the Subnet mask returned from the Giga Hub. the value of Subnet mask acquired by the host is 128.0.0.0, which definitely is not a good subnet mask. If I kept static values of IP (the one auto-acquired) and DNS servers, and use Subnet mask as 255.255.255.255, the Internet access is all good. But this is just a workaround since the public IP might change with new connections.

Could you fix this bad Subnet mask issue to make the Advanced DMZ really usable?

Thanks!

24 REPLIES 24

stan25zh
Contributor II

@BellPatricia

Any comments on this issue? 😉

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Hi @stan25zh 

Here are some discussions which may be relevant:

https://forum.bell.ca/t5/Internet/Bell-hub-4000-Advanced-DMZ-bug/td-p/10971

https://idallen.com/bell_home_hub_3000_advanced_DMZ.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/bell/comments/oshbrb/has_anyone_gotten_advanced_dmz_working_on_the/

You can also post your issue on the DSLR Bell forum. It's a site with many people engaged in technical matters and who have a lot of solid information to share. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/sympat

Cheers,

ZaneP

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Hi @ZaneP 

Thanks for providing the information.

The solution discussed in the first link, is not really about "Advanced" DMZ. The ADMZ assigns the public IP modem acquired during the connection to the device (which been put into DMZ) directly, instead of assign an Internal "192,168.2.x" IP using DHCP.

The second link is relevant. It mentioned the issue I'm facing, the wrong Subnet mask assigned. But the solution is about to get it fixed in the device instead of having it fixed in the HH4000. I am still hoping it can be fixed by Bell with a firmware update. @User59 

There is no real solution in the third link.

I will see if I can get some help on the DSLR Bell forum you mentioned.

Thanks again for the help,

Stan

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Hi @stan25zh ,

Hope you make some progress in resolving this. The DSLR Bell forum should be a good resource for you. 

Just a small nitpick: The Giga Hub and the Home Hub 4000 are not the same modems. You need the Giga's most recent firmware, which I think is now at version 1.15.1.

This update has not been deployed to all Bell users with this modem. You need to send a PM to Bell Forum Moderator @BellPatricia requesting it be pushed out to your modem.

Cheers,

ZaneP

I don't work for Bell, I'm just a customer

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Hi @ZaneP ,

I think Giga Hub is the alias of Home Hub 4000, based on this page, https://support.bell.ca/internet/products/home-hub-4000-modem.

@BellPatriciahas already helped to push the firmware 1.15.2 to my Giga Hub, that solved the PPPoE passthrough issue, and which is the way I am using to make connection from my own router. I am just thinking if @User59 can fix the Advanced DMZ issue, then customers may have more choice here. 🙂

Anyway, I probably gonna try DSLR Bell forum.

Thanks again!

Stan

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Good to know that you're up to date with the Giga's firmware. 

If you don't see any progress being made on the ADMZ issue, I suggest you post in the Bell Direct forum, on DSLR Bell. Link below.

You'll need to get a username and password set up on DSLR forums: this is a private forum, so no anonymous posts allowed. It's monitored by Bell techs, and only you will see your posts and their replies. It's a forum meant to solve specific problems, not just a general q&a. So post as many details as possible on the issue you're having. The more information the better.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/sympatdirect

Keep us posted on your progress!

ZaneP

cclo
Contributor

As of today.  September 9.  I still having this same issue.  I have my own firewall, it is called "Firewalla Gold Plus"  you can google it.  It is a 2.5Gbps firewall and I have 3.0Gbps Bell service.  I am currently using PPPoE bypass, everything worked fine but my speed is cut to around 1.3 Gbps Down.  I guess my Firewall isn't fast enough using PPPoE.  The only way I get any close to 2.5Gbps is to use Advance DMZ on Bell Modem and then use DHCP on my Firewalla.  Yes I get about 2.3Gbps down when I using this way, but the problem is I getting Network Latency issue!  If I ping any sites... 1 out of every 5 times I get a time out!   When is Bell going to fix this???  I google around, and it seem this issue been around for a long time!  Bell just ignore it!  I am just waiting for Rogers to have Fiber to home and I going to move ON!  This is crazy!  Either you give us a "Bridge Mode" or fix this!  Pleases!!!    I am getting half the speed I paying for!

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Hi @cclo 

Just a few questions:

1. Are you running the speedtest directly from the Bell modem's dashboard? If yes, what are the results?
  2. Make sure the 10Gb port on the modem is set to 10Gb (not "Auto")
  3. Are there any known issues when running Firewalla and the  PPPoE protocol?
  4. Are there any known limitations for Firewalla and 3Gbps (and higher) transfer rates?
  5. Could the speed issue ("I guess my Firewall isn't.....") possibly be a Firewalla CPU cores problem?
  6. ADMZ is known to add latency(?) https://forum.bell.ca/t5/Internet/Packet-loss-and-increasingly-high-latency-at-fixed-intervals/td-p/...

#1, above: it's important to measure the inbound connection from Bell to the gateway modem. Need to be be sure that you're getting the speed you're paying for.

Unfortunately there is no indication that Bell will configure its Sagemcom/Hub modems to run in pure bridge mode.

Maybe some other Firewalla users who follow these Community forums will add their ideas to this thread.

Cheers

Zane P

I don't work for Bell, I'm just a customer

Okay... I going to show you right here...  My limitation of Firewalla is 2.5G.  It is running Intel J4125 Quad Core CPU and 4GB on board.

If I running PPPoE Bypass.  which mean I using Firewalla PPPoE with my Bell Password to log in...  I got about 1.3Gbps..  See below

PPPoE.jpg

Then I try to use Bell Advance DMZ,  See below, because the HH4000 only have "1" 10Gbit Port, I have to put my Firewalla at the first port on the HH4000, and I got an IP address of: 169.1.1.1.  And using DHCP on my Firewalla.  My Speed is improve to more the 2Gbps... testing on the same Bell North York site.  But I got tons of latency issue by Firewalla.  See Photo below...   ADMZ.jpg

DHCP.jpg

EVENT.jpg