Bell Home Hub 4000 Does Not Support XBOX Gaming when Wired

andrewnorris
Contributor

Just switched over to a Bell Fibe 1.5Gbps plan, and have been running into a very weird issue with my Home Hub 4000. 

When I plug my XBOX into the Home Hub (base configuration) via Ethernet to the 10G LAN port (or any LAN port), I get the following error when I go to XBOX Settings > Network, it says NAT Type: Unavailable. I run the “Test NAT type” and it gives me the error: “Can’t get a Teredo IP address”. This problem prevents Xbox Live to work and some multiplayer games like Call of Duty Warzone to not be able to connect at all.

Weird thing is that when I unplug from Ethernet and switch the XBOX to Wi-Fi, it says NAT Type: Open and everything works as expected, but with more latency and lower speeds.

I've tried every combination of Ethernet wires, turning on a DMZ, port forwarding, but no luck.

XBOX's support (https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/help/Hardware-Network/connect-network/xbox-one-nat-error#troubleshoot...) says what's needed is to:

• Allow Teredo tunneling
  • Allow IPv6 tunneling
As far as I can see, there's no option for either in the Home Hub Advanced Tools and settings.
If someone from Bell or another frustrated XBOX & Bell customers have found a work around, please let me know.
2 helpful replies

Accepted Solutions

Luca
Contributor III

so heres an update on what i've found to be the issues. Firstly, for some reason XBOX and the new gigahub 4000 will not connect on cat5e, but my pc will connect with cat5e with zero issues. I ran a temp cat6 cable to one of the xboxs and it connected, done. The second Xbox was running through a POE connection since the bedroom its in doesn't have any network outlets. Considering before i had rogers cable internet, POE ran perfectly since power lines are copper like cable lines. For this connection i also connect a cat6, it was picking up the xbox showing as connected in the hub, but wasn't getting any internet. So abit of googling, i come to find that the giga hub is not compatible with POE UNLESS you get a special switch. So, to fix this, i will just fish a cat6 cable to the room and problem solved. Hopefully others that have ran into this issue will have some better clarification now.

View reply in original post

Luca
Contributor III

I have found and solved the fix thanks to xbox tech support over the phone. I'll just recap. After running the new cat6 cables, the modem port was showing connection going through to the xbox....BUT still nothing when i went into the network settings in the xbox itself. Heres the fix from xbox support and it worked! Go into network, advanced settings, go to dns settings, and then for primary enter 8.8.8.8. And for secondary enter 8.8.4.4 after hitting select, go back 1 screen and you will be back online! 

View reply in original post

28 REPLIES 28

BellPatricia

Hi there @andrewnorris. Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Bell Community.

To start, we recommend that you unplug from the 10G LAN port, and plug directly into one of the yellow LAN ports. We also suggest that you use at least a Cat6 cable.

Let the Community know how everything goes.

- Patricia

Can this be looked into further? I have the home hub 2000 and wireless on my Xbox series x works fine until I plug in cable, then the ports die after a few minutes of game. No issues like this on ps5 with same cabling / setup. I’ve seen someone else as well with this same issue on the home hub 2000. I’ve played with ports, DMZ, everything I can think of. Is there a compatibility issue between xbox ethernet and bell homehub?

I’ve been having this issue and just dealing with it since around the time this was originally posted, but I am a little tired of using wifi for gaming 

I am having issues for almost a year now. All other consoles work but there seems to be some sort of compatibility issue between the new Xbox series consoles and bell home hub. I’ve tried just about everything from port forwarding, DMZ to new cables, putting in a desktop switch in between etc. Wifi works fine 0 issues ever. Just when ethernet is in I get about 5 minutes of gaming then it kills the port. I’ve seen other posts on other sites claim same issue with the same homehub, as well as the 4000. I would upgrade to a new home hub but it’s an expensive “if” or “maybe”. Is this a known issue? It’s getting a little tiresome gaming in wifi, it’s not the end of the world but paying 120+ a month would be nice if I could get that little bug fixed. 
If anyone has any info on this I’m willing to try suggestions.

thank you,

Hey there @BHan, thanks for your post and welcome to the Bell Community. We appreciate all of the troubleshooting steps you've completed so far.

Just wanted to clarify are you using a Cat6 Cable, and have you also tested different Ethernet ports on the Home Hub 2000?

Do you get any type of error message?

Looking forward to your reply.
- Patricia

There seems to be a problem with the data streams to the Xbox Cloud Gaming service. From what I could gather, the issue seems to be with how Bell processes video streams, particularly its delivery optimizations; it causes artifacts and visual stuttering and generally makes the service completely unsable.

The issue is brought up fairly often on Reddit and other platforms but I've yet to see Bell acknolwedge the problem or offer a solution or workaround.

This is on a wired 1 Gbps connection, wired. I've tried multiple devices, platforms, and systems. They all exhibit the same problem.

This is specific to Bell's systems as the symptoms can be alleviated by routing through a VPN, but this introduces extra latency. The issue also does not appear when using a mobile 5G AP.

I'd be happy to provide any feedback or information that could be helpful!

Shortie112
Contributor

I have the same problem

Hi there @Shortie112 
Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community.
Are you able to share the information that's been asked within the thread and have you tried any troubleshooting steps and if so, what have you tried?
Looking forward to hearing back.

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

It's not an isolated issue, seems other ISP's are struggling with this service also, if this poll is correct: XBOX Cloud performance 

The Xbox Cloud streaming is still in Beta stage. I am thinking this might be a protocol issue, although I am not sure what protocol it actually uses. Typically certain protocols receive priority over other less critical protocols, to ensure smooth performance.

With a streaming service like this ping times and bandwidth availability would be required for a smooth experience.

So I am thinking the protocol is not being prioritized properly by ISP's yet. Another possibility could be poor routing.

It's hard to say, but apparently if you bypass the home hub completely the problem goes away. So it could be an issue related to the build in firewall. You can try disabling it to see if that makes a difference, just for testing purposes. Or use ADMZ to grab a public IP and see what effect that has on the performance.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.