Gigahub and IPv6

SteveD
Contributor

In early October I switched from a third party internet provider that was using Bell’s copper lines to Fibe 3.0. When I made that switch I had issues with a lot of devices on my network, I used my own router using PPPoE pass through, so other than a change in external IP, things remained the same internally. I realized that I wasn’t getting an IPv6 address as part of the connection. 

i bypassed my equipment and connected directly to the Gigahub and couldn’t find any hint of configuration for IPv6 and my laptop wasn’t getting an IPv6 address. 

I called support ad the tech that I spoke to indicated that the next version of the firmware for the Gigahub would support IPv6 and I wanted to get an update. Do we have an ETA for IPv6 on the Gigahub?

1 helpful reply

Accepted Solutions

BellNick

Hi there @SteveD
Thanks for your post and welcome to the Bell Community.

Currently at this time we do not support IPv6 through residential service. 

View reply in original post

23 REPLIES 23

BellNick

Hi there @SteveD
Thanks for your post and welcome to the Bell Community.

Currently at this time we do not support IPv6 through residential service. 

Sorry, just had to check my calendar, the initial RFCs for IPv6 came out in the 1990s, it is currently 2022.

Was the tech that I was speaking to mis-informed or did he straight up lie to me to get me off the phone?

Is there a timeline for when Bell will support IPv6 on their residential services?

hackman
Contributor

You can create a tunnel from a device behind the gigahub to He.net via their service tunnelbroker.net

snowblower
Regular Contributor

Have you tried a Huuricane Electric ipv6 tunnel?  I'm trying, and on two systems both transmit but get no reply.  I'm not sure what the problem is yet, but it's startign to look like Bell is blocking protocol 41 IP messages.

I tried and had some success, but in retrospect it was slow and laggy. However I tried to run the HE IPv6 tunnel on a box that has a VPN so it is total possible that running over the VPN allowed it to work, but at the same time caused the delay. I’ll have to retest on a different box. 

snowblower
Regular Contributor

I finally got it working. The key was to use a separate router and connect to the GigaHub using a ppoe connection. That provided me with a separate IP address that was pingable. I could never get a ping through the GigaHub before, and it might have been blocking other stuff (despite all my experiementing with DMS and Advanced DMZ.

I wrote up a how-to for setting up a ipv6 tunnel router that will work on Bell's fiber network with a GigaHub:

https://jptrainor.github.io/ipv6/2023/05/16/ipv6-tunnel-on-bell-fibre.html

... it's the best solution I could come up with as a hold-over until Bell joins the rest of us in the 21st century and supports IPv6.

I tried this, got the basics working, but too much random stuff is happening to make it worth it.

streaming services are misbehaving, Google searches are constantly asking me to prove that I’m not a bot, etc

I had a rep from Rogers come to my door the other day, seriously considering switching once my introductory price with Bell is gone. 

snowblower
Regular Contributor

Yes, I experienced google asking me if I'm a bot when I use the HE tunnel. I only use it occasionally to test some software where IPV6 is a must have, so it's not a problem. I have a dedicated sub-network that I connect to when I need IPV6.  The rest of the time I use Bell's vanilla IPV4. If I needed IPV6 day to day then Bell would not be an option as an ISP.  Hopefully Bell join the 21st century soon. I imagine that every peice of equipment that runs their network already supports it and all they need to do is configure it and turn it on.