PPPoE not working with Giga Hub.

Samuel
Contributor

When I try to setup my router to use PPPoE with the Giga Hub, it is unable to get an IP address and I have no internet. 

I am able to get an IP address when I enable the advance DMZ feature, but still no internet.

I have a TP-Link AX6000. 

I've seen on the https://www.dslreports.com/ blog that a lot of people have the same issue, and that a new Firmware version (1.15.1) would fix that.

How could I get the 1.15.1 update?

1 helpful reply

Accepted Solutions

CoM
Contributor II

PPPoE passthrough SUCCESS!!!... at least for me 😋.

The precondition to make it work is to get your firmware updated to 1.15.1 

1. Giga Hub firmware to 1.15.1 or better
2. Change the p1 password in MyBell
3. Update the p1 password in your Giga Hub -> the hub will reboot and reconnect

Note: Steps 2 and 3 need to be done in this order unless you have a secondary internet connection. If you change the password on your hub without changing it in MyBell you will lose connection.

4. I recommend power cycle your modem (I do not think it is necessary but the hub seems to work better if you do, at least for me.
Work on your router side:
5. Connect your router to one of the ethernet ports on the hub. It doesn't matter which but you will not get more than 1 Gb/s if you do not use the 10 Gb port.
6. Set the PPPoE connection on your router. Do not use VPN 35!!! Use the p1 user name and the new password set at step 2.
7. Reboot your router (again, power cycle worked better for me).
8. Your router should now connect and get a public IP address (the time needed to connect depends on the router: from seconds to maybe tens of seconds).

The address you are getting is DIFFERENT from the address the Giga Hub gets.
It doesn't matter if you continue to use the Giga Hub for WiFi connections and/or as a router through the ethernet incorporated switch.
It doesn't matter if you set on or off the UPnP, DLNA, SIP ALG, DMZ, DHCP, Port Forwarding. These settings will only apply to whatever uses the Giga Hub to connect to the internet.

Note: Do not set the DMZ to your router if you use PPPoE!!! It will defeat the purpose and it will not work.
Note: If you have a dynamic DNS, which I recommend you do, do NOT set it on the Giga Router. The IP address that will be returned in that case will be the address set for the hub NOT for the router (as mentioned before, the two addresses are different and so the dynamic DNS service will point to the wrong one).

I have tried this configuration method with four different routers: Edgerouter 4, Edgerouter 10x, Cisco RV110W and D-Link DIR-615 (really low end this one). They all worked fine. Connected without any issues.

I did not try connecting more than one at a time. Did not have enough cables pulled from the basement, where the Giga Hub is, to my office. I suspect it will work. If anybody tries it please let us all know.

Good luck!

Cornel

View reply in original post

574 REPLIES 574

BellPatricia

Hey there @Samuel, thanks for reaching out to the Bell Community.

We'd be happy to assist further, and have sent you a private message so we can gather more information. Please check your Messages within your profile avatar in the top right corner.

Unsure how to check or send a private message? See How to send a private messageOpens in a new tab or window

- Patricia

BellPatricia

Hey everyone 🙂

Next week a new firmware should start being deployed network wide on the Gigahub modem that addresses PPPoE pas through when in GPON mode.

If you experience an issue with PPPoE pass through on the Bell Gigahub modem in the meantime please post in this thread so we can help update you to the new modem firmware. 

- Patricia

Mitzrael777
Contributor

Hi Bell,

I have the same issue, i am in the banlieu of Montreal, and i have version 1.13 also and cannot do PPPoE passthrough on the Gigahub which i just received.

If you are 100% sure we have an update next week regarding this problem, i will keep the router, if not i would like to roll back, as this really cripples my network seriously...

Do you have an approximate date of the roll out, or is it possible to receive something when it's done ?

Thanks 

Hi there @Mitzrael777. Welcome to the Bell Community. 🙂

We've sent you a private message in order to get a bit more information. Please check your Messages within your profile avatar in the top right corner.

Unsure how to check or send a private message? See How to send a private messageOpens in a new tab or window

- Patricia

Hi Everyone,

Thank you Patricia and Bell peoples for pushing the patch 1.15.1 that fixed the pppoe passthrough bug in the Gigahub, I'm now fully functional, it was quick and even fixed during the weekend 🙂

I think the Bell community hub is a great thing, I'm a IT guy myself, and something like this to have a quick answer from Bell peoples is amazing, we don't feel left by our own, and have answers to our problems.

Thank you very much  

Brendan
Contributor II

Hi ,

I have just received a Giga Hub for my new Fibe installation. 

I want to initiate the internet connection using my router (Ubiquiti UDM Pro) via PPPoE rather than hanging the router off the Giga Hub (i.e. double NAT). 

The Giga Hub has firmware 1.13. I have seen that the required F/W for successful PPPoE connection is 1.15.1. How do I get this update?

Thanks

Hey @Brendan. Welcome to the Bell Community.

We've sent you a private message in order to gather more information. Please check your Messages within your profile avatar in the top right corner.

- Patricia

Stephan
Contributor II

Same issue with PPOE please put me on your list

Thank you

Hi,

@BellPatricia coordinated the update to the firmware for me. Very efficient - it interrupted the connection for about a minute or so. 

Right now I don’t yet have my “B1***” credentials to initiate a PPPoE connection so I have not attempted anything yet (I.e. still double NAT’ing). 

I also want to dig around in the forums to see what others are doing in regards to eliminating the Home Hub from doing the routing functions. If anyone has any suggestions on this please share!

Thanks

Brendan.