Using PPPoE and DMZ / Advanced DMZ for 'Bridge Mode' use of 3rd Party router on the HH4000

navderek
Contributor II

It would be great if Bell could confirm if they are going to update the FW on the HH4000 to enable a true bridge mode setup...also to stop the Wifi from automatically re-enabling itself anytime the HH4000 reboots itself. These are two MAJOR issues right now with the HH4000 and posted about on many forums (not just here).

It would be great if someone from Bell could chime in and let the community know if it is actually going to address these issues or not? If not, please explain why and please do not point to advanced DMZ as a solution because that doesn't actually work very well and severely impacts the performance on the Google Mesh (or any other pre-existing mesh setup). This is also discussed on many forums both on this one and externally by your customers.

We do realize the HH4000 is relatively new so there can be some improvements. We, as a community, just want to know if Bell plans to make those improvements or not.

Thanks,

-Derek

*Edited & Updated title* @BellDRock 

114 REPLIES 114

This workaround results in severe speed drop with the Google wifi router, so it's not really a good solution. Not sure why but once you get the Google router to handle the PPPoE connection the speed suffers greatly.

@navderek after connecting the Google Router, was it able to maintain the connection or did it eventually drop it? Even if I add my Bell user info to the router's  PPPoE it drops the connection to my devices after 24 hrs or so.  

My hardware.... 
ISP: Bell
Modem: Home Hub 4000 (Fibre)
Router: Google WiFi
Switch: TrendNet Gigabit Switch (TEG-S80g)
Connection: Modem to Router to Switch to Devices

Problem: I can get my Google router working and it connects to all my Google devices at home but reliably only through Wifi. I want to plug in my network switch to it so I can have a hardwire connection to my other devices like a TV and computers. The problem is that when I plug in the switch to my Google router, I get internet going to my switch for between 24 hrs to a few days. Then I suddenly lose the connection. My router will work, giving wifi if I don't plug in the switch. When I plug in the switch is when I think I have that problem of the IP lease time expiring or maybe the WAN IP address changes and my router loses the connection? I've read about all these issues here. 

After I lost the connection, I looked at the DMZ settings on the modem. The router that I had added was no longer the selected device. It was instead listing some unknown device with a different IP address. To fix it, I reselected my router from the list but my router then had a network error. To get it working again I had to disconnect the switch cable from it. It's like connecting the switch confuses it. Any suggestions? 

I don't have a google router. I have a fortigate. For now, it's been stable since the last 24h (I only had fibe installed yesterday and was able to change my b1 password about 24h ago). I have the full speed I have on my plan (500).

Kinda spoke too soon. A little bit before 24h after having put the pppoe user on my own router, there was a connection drop. Internet was not working for a couple of minutes, and my VPN connections with my office droped. I noticed at that moment that my IP changed. It occured one more time during the night also...

Yeah that's what happens to me too. I think it's the IP change that causes the drop. I've read that there is no way of customizing the frequency of the change and that Bell only offers static IPs to  businesses which is ignorant and infuriating because some regular people just want to hook up devices to their router for home entertainment and home office purposes. Now that people work from home more and are setting up smart homes our needs are more complex. That's my rant. Please let me know if you figure out how to get the connection to not drop to your router. And to the Bell admins, we're talking about routers here but it all stems from the HH4000 modem not providing static IPs. 

Haven't any down since the last couple of days. I also noticed the BELLXXX wifi was come back up again, even tough I disabled it. So maybe there was a firmware update on the HH4K hub and that caused the connection to drop. I've changed IP again after the last time, but did not see any drops in the internet. I have an ipsec tunnel with the office and it didn't go down since the time I think there was a firmware update on the HH4K.

I'm seeking a programable ONT SFP so that I can complety turn off the HH4K.

rossnick
Contributor II

Since the last couple of days, I've seen numerous HH4K reboot. Especialy when I was transfering large amount of data upstream. I've reverted back to double-nat with my router to see if it helps.

I was uploading at 41-ish mbps constatnt and saw several reboot during that time. I've received my SFP, now waiting for a SFP network card to be able to access it to change it's S/N.

OldCrow
Contributor

Hi folks,

Bit of an odd situation I have so hopefully someone has an idea of what I can do. I have a HH4000 and my own eero 6E mesh network (which also has a 2.4 Gbps WAN port) - so not surprisingly I would prefer to "bridge" the modem.

The eero gateway is connected from its 2.4 Gbps WAN port to the HH4000 10Gbps port. The HH4000 is configured so that the eero gateway is in the Advanced DMZ and uses the external WAN address directly. The eero is configured to connect to the Bell network using PPPoE with the Bell B1****** username and password. All good and if I run speed tests I should get 3.25 Gbps up and down (on the HH4000 modem) or 2.4 Gbps up and down (on the eero gateway).

And I do get those speeds...for about two weeks at a time. Then the download speed (and only the download speed) drops significantly. Most recently to 1.1Gbps, but it has been as low as 64Mbps. And this is measured from the modem speed test, so it isn't an issue between the modem and the eero gateway. If anything, it seems to be a provisioning profile problem - which I think is supported by two things: first, only the download speed is affected; second, factory resetting the HH4000 and reconfiguring it fixes the issue...for another two weeks or so.

Now, factory resetting my modem and then setting it up again (changing default passwords, disabling the wifi, putting the gateway in the DMZ, etc, etc) is a pain and not what I want to do. But I cannot figure out how to prevent/solve this issue for the life of me.

Any advice or help would be great.

Hello

Can you point to a document for configuring an external router with the Giga Hub modem (Fast 5689E) ? I have a Mesh wireless solution that I would prefer to use.

Thank you

I have the Home Hub 4000. I am not able to get pppoe passthrough so i thought it was a software issue. I tried everything with vlan 35 etc ! I have the 3.0 gbps plan