Recordings will now expire after 60 days

Alcott
Contributor II

If I have recordings older than 365 days, (or more than 320 hours), will they all suddenly disappear?

This is a drastic change that most people probably don’t know about. 
TV isn’t essential of course, but I still have some old stuff I’d like to watch.

2 helpful replies

Accepted Solutions

BellDRock
Community Manager

The change impacts those with the VIP 7802 who have access to cloud PVR - customers using an older model are not affected by this change. Impacted customers will receive a communication from Bell.

Customers who have Bell’s VIP 7802 have access to cloud PVR for 60 days across all supported devices including smartphones, web browsers, and connected TV devices like Apple TV, FireTV and Android TV. Recordings can be watched at home or on the go - they can even be downloaded to be watched offline on smartphones. Customers can also set and manage recordings at home or on the go through the Fibe TV App.

We also encourage you to check out our On DemandOpens in a new tab or window content as it has over 34,000 hours of movies and shows including the latest blockbuster and popular TV series.

View reply in original post

BellDRock
Community Manager

Hello everyone, thank you all for sharing your feedback. To clarify, the Cloud PVR retention time change only applies to customers with the 7802 set top box (below)

Bell_VIP7802_VoiceRemote.png

If you have any other Bell PVR box, your recordings storage remain unchanged. For the Fibe TV app specifically, recording retention on the app has remained unchanged at 60 days and is unrelated to the set top box you have.

View reply in original post

120 REPLIES 120

WelshTerrier
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Fibe TV has evolved to a cloud-based storage system for all your recordings. It was introduced in July 2022.

It allows you to store up to 320 hours of recordings, regardless of resolution, for up to 365 days.

You’ll get a reminder 30 days before a recording expires. Once you reach 320 hours, your recordings will start to be deleted, beginning with the oldest.

The following web link provides further Fibe TV Cloud PVR details.

Fibe TV Cloud PVR

https://support.bell.ca/fibe_tv/receivers/about_fibe_tv_cloud_pvr?step=1#step1

Thank you for contacting the Bell Community Forum.

Take care.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

When I record a show I choose 'keep until I erase'. Today it changed and now says 'keep until I erase or the recording expires'. I have old recordings. I haven't received any 30 day reminders. There has never been a time limit. The hour limit I'm sure is more than 320. More in SD, less in HD.
There is no 'expiring soon' row or 'notification' row that I read about somewhere. 

This is a big change. So when does it all take effect and when will the recordings be deleted on me?  
And how much will the cost of TV go down? Ha.

It is not 365 days it is only 60 days! The link you provided says so and all of my recordings expire in less than 60 days. Wish I knew this before I traded PVRs to change to cloud storage! No one told us that !!!

AlexS
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

That limitation only applies outside the dvr. On DVR it's 365 days.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

I found a note on my bill saying "Fibe TV recordings on Cloud PVR will be reduced to 60 days from May 2024." Is there any method to keep recordings for longer time?

Giga Hub with Internet, TV and Home Phone, use Orbi Mesh WiFi and Giga Hub WiFi

Unless something has recently changed that I am not aware of, the Fibe TV Cloud PVR allows you to store up to 320 hours of recordings, regardless of resolution, for up to 365 days. The 60 day limitation only applies to recordings accessed from outside of the PVR. E.g. Fibe TV App, etc.

The time limits for stored recordings can not be extended to a longer time.

Thank you for posting your question on the Bell Community Forum.

Take care.

Unfortunately, it seems like this change will affect recordings regardless of where they are accessed, including the Fibe TV Box: "As of May 1, 2024, the storage of your Fibe TV recordings on your Cloud PVR will be reduced (from 365 days) to 60 days. Existing recordings that are older than 60 days will also be deleted as of that date."

It looks like Bell has already updated their website as well: https://support.bell.ca/fibe_tv/receivers/about_fibe_tv_cloud_pvr?step=1#step1

This may be a deal breaker for me, especially because I am paying $10.00/month for cloud storage. 2 months is too restrictive in my opinion.

LittleLamb
Contributor III

Exactly! 60 days is too short!! That's why I wanted to create a new thread to give the community members a heads up and initiate a discussion. Not sure whether this is a firm decision from Bell. I hope community members can share the views, Bell can listen and keep the recordings for 1 year!  

Giga Hub with Internet, TV and Home Phone, use Orbi Mesh WiFi and Giga Hub WiFi

camisotro
Contributor II

I just received the same notification on my bill. This is absolutely ridiculous. Telecom companies have been pushing back forever against the concept of being able to record TV. First everything went digital in a non-standards-based way so that we couldn't supply our own recording devices for TV, so that the telco could rent us their own version of a PVR instead. Then Bell eliminated the option for any device that actually records TV locally, forcing customers onto an inferior TV box with "cloud PVR". Now they are nerfing it to a nearly-useless 60 days of recording.

This is not the service I signed up for on contract, and yet I am still continuing to pay increasing prices. Bell is basically just telling us to resort to piracy because you just aren't entitled to record TV.

Can we qualify to break our contracts because of this material change in our services? Can we bring this to the CCTS? We really need a customer revolt here.