How do I activate my modem if I don't have a cell phone to follow the QRC code?

Angus52
Contributor II

Nobody mentioned we'd need a cell phone that could handle QRC bar codes to get our modem activated!

Is there some way to get setup going without that?

6 REPLIES 6

WelshTerrier
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Welcome to the Bell Community Forum.

Which Internet service & package do you subscribe to? Is this a new modem install or a replacement for your existing modem? What is the model number of your modem? Did you receive any install or replacement instructions?

Self-install (bell.ca)

Have you contacted Bell Internet Tech Support for assistance? Call: 1 844 310-SURF (7873)

I have included the following Bell Modem & Wi-Fi web link as a reference point for you. Simply choose the modem that you are to connect & set up.

Home Hub 4000/Giga Hub - support, help and troubleshooting from Bell Internet

Take care.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

This guide does not mention any QR code, so I would give that a try and see what happens.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

The box contained a single paper that was half French/Half English, the modem, an ethernet cable, and a power brick. 

Also included was a sticker with the default Modem Wireless Settings. Also included was a cardstock that said "Install your equipment now. Scan the QR code for step-by-step instructions. It had a QR code. 

I've got the modem running. 

My problem is whether this product (Fibe Internet + Fibe TV) is workable for me. The rogers service that they are deprecating tonight allowed me to set the modem to bridge mode. That allowed my AI empowered ASUS WAP/Router to be the sole author of IP sources on the network (which also allowed me to use MAC filters as part of our wifi security and it removed race conditions with multiple DHCP servers. TV was on internal Coax, separate from any computer network. 

So now, how do I preserve our internal wifi with this Gigahub? 

Here's what I'm hoping: 
I hope to make this workI hope to make this work

However, if I turn off the DHCP server in the Gigahub, will the Gigahub request an IP from the ASUS WAP/Router? Or will it be just a mess? I imagine once I turn off DHCP on the Gigahub, if that doesn't work, I have to factory reset and I would probably need to bug Bell for info for the WAN side (maybe?). 

If I want to keep the DHCP on Gigahub and just only let that handle the 4 x Fibe TV boxes and let everything else come down to my ASUS WAP/Router, maybe that could work? Just not let any clients other than the Fibe TV boxes onto the network used by the modem? 

I wasn't planning on this sudden architecture change and the lack of any competence to even understand my questions at the bell store was frustrating. The lack of any documents (of use) as to some of the features of the GigaHub is also annoying. 

Thoughts?

I got the modem itself working, but now I have more of a challenge. See my response to Vanadiel if you can. 

I'm trying to figure out how to replace my former layout (rogers cable modem set on bridge mode, all traffic coming to my ASUS WAP/Router and that box being the DHCP provider for the network). That layout was necessary to removing the 'two DHCP providers' problem (esp after power outages) and it also enabled the ASUS box to do parental controls, time restrictions, some other limitations and I used MAC filtering on the wifi networks. 

The response I wrote in response to Vanadiel's suggestions includes a picture of the network I want to see - the only things I want on the Fibe Modem's wifi is the Fibe TV boxes and a path (wired) to my ASUS box that is the entry point of our local networks. 

I just don't know if I can kill the DHCP on the Fibe Modem (Gigahub) and whether the system will look to find the DHCP from my ASUS box. Or if I leave the Fibe modem's DHCP, will that not result in conflicts? 

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

The gigahub does not provide a true bridge mode, due to the PPPOE overhead it would cause.

To get your setup working like in that picture, the easiest way would be to connect your router just as in that picture, and use double NAT. All your devices will only see the DHCP server from the Asus router, as the DHCP server of the Asus router is on the LAN side of the Asus router.

The Asus in turn will request an address for it's WAN connection from the homehub's DHCP server.

If you do not want double NAT, your next option would be ADMZ mode on the homehub and using the 10 Gbit port for the WAN connection of the router. This will be close to a bridge mode, but not a true bridge mode as the homehub will still be authenticating the PPPOE connection with Bell and process all the PPPOE packets.

The link below explains ADMZ as I don't think Bell has an actual tutorial that explains ADMZ. I am thinking that same link also uses an Asus router going by the GUI as that looks like an ASUs GUI.

Enable ADMZ and configure Asus router 

Forgot to add that DHCP on a router will not flow over to WAN. In other words, a DHCP server part of a router will only work on the LAN side, and any DHCP requests will never be send over to the WAN connection.

I'll look into what you pointed me at. 

My ASUS is an RT3100 for what it is worth. 

I do know that the DHCP is downrange on the LAN side. The WAN set on Auto will presumably pull whatever form of address from Bell's service. 

I didn't really ever notice on our cable modem (150K Down, 15K or 30K up) have any speed issues (though it was setup as PPPOE (probably was a lot of packets, but never felt slow). And the new service is blistering (IF I believe the speed test, both are over 500K down and up). 

Going to read what you wrote and thanks for your time so far 🙂