Bypass Bell home hub 3000

Ramialquraishi
Contributor

Hello,

I want to remove bell hub 3000 and install my own router/firewall. I will use same SFP came with bell hub 3000. I managed to have my pppoe username/password online.

my questions:

1- Do I need to set vlans? For this to work?

I see couple posts online saying bell uses vlan 35 for internet and vlan 36 for voice, so should I create vlan35 for the wan interface?

2- Should bell clear the mac address of cpe on their side?

8 REPLIES 8

Pascal
Contributor III

You should be able to do this easily *if* you can specify the VLAN to use for PPPoE *or* if you have a managed switch that can take untagged traffic and tag it on a certain port.

For the VLAN configuration, it is 35 for the internet. 36 and 37 are used for tv/voice. I made a post years ago on DSLReport to be able to use all the TV decoders on your own switch/router, you may want to have a look at it for a few key settings.

Also, there is no need to clear the MAC on their, you can simply plug in the SFP+ into your own hardware, as long as the hardware supports that SFP+ module.

Would you be able to provide a link to this post? I’ve been searching for how to by pass with internet, tv and phone.

Hello Pascal,

Would you be able to provide me the vlan ID of the internet for the Gigahub rather than the Hub3000 please ?? It seems to have changed on the backend from the 3000 to the Giga.

I've looked for it but didn't manage to succeed yet 😕

Regards.

seems this is not the case anymore, vlan35 is not working anymore.

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

They have made changes to the way it works. You still need VLAN + tagged 35 for WAN, but you don't need to use their DNS server(s) for TV to work.

Important to remember is not to create a VLAN35, but use VLAN35 and tag it on the WAN side. Do not tag or create any VLAN's on the LAN or WAN side.

Also your SFP port will likely have issue connecting at 1.5/1 if you are using that profile, or 3/3 when using that profile. For some reason Bell likes their SFP's to connect at non-standard rates like 1.5/1,3/3 and 8/8.

The standards are 1, 2.5,5,10...

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Ramialquraishi
Contributor

Can you please elaborate more? how NOT to create any VLANs on WAN an tag vlan 35?

Your WAN post needs to use VLAN 35 for all traffic going in and out. That's really all you need to tag. How you do it depends on the manufacturer of your router/switch, as they all use slightly different setup procedures.

Typically you click on the port in the graphical UI and select VLAN with ID35. Remember this is on the WAN port. You don't need to tag any LAN ports.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Ramialquraishi
Contributor

hello All,

Any one managed to make this works?