So I'm apparently sending messages about investing in crypto... in China.

Mooh
Contributor

Received an intricate phone call just now.

A lady from "Bell Telecom Counter-Fraud Department", warned me that I was facing criminal charges for having spammed about investing in cryptocurrency. All of this supposedly done from a Bell phone registered at Shenzhen Airport, in China. Having never left the country, I fail to see how I could've done that.

Now they did have a lot of information about me. My full name, home address, phone number. Not my credit card info, mind you, and I suspect that's where this was leading. She transferred me to Shenzhen police in the end, even after I told her that I didn't speak English. Turned out weird, so I hung up. I've received 9 calls from China in the last 6 minutes since then.

The phone number that "Lauren" was using changed every time she called (three times - spoofing much?). That alone is warning enough, I presume, but the slew of information she had on me forced me to think a little. I have them logged in my phone. When I asked her why the phone number had changed, she said that it was an emergency phone and used fake numbers for protection or something (they're getting smartlesser). She also mentioned reporting the fake me (supposedly) to the CRTC.

I blocked both Chinese numbers that tried to call me afterwards. 

More info...

According to Lauren, the phone "I" registered in Shenzhen. It was registered on July 8 of this year, at 1:06 pm, Shenzhen time, from Shenzhen Eastern National Airport. 

I am amused, confused and perplexed. 

Any word on this sort of phishing attempt, or should I worry about the Chinese army showing up at my door?

1 helpful reply

Accepted Solutions

BellPatricia

Hey there @Mooh,

Welcome to the Bell Community, and thank you for reaching out to us.

This does sound very suspect, and much like a scam/vishing call.

A good sign it is a vishing call is when there is a threat of penalties or even arrest (such as what you described above). Bell Canada will not contact you in this context, nor contact you to request any of your personal information.

Any fraud concerns should be reported directly to the Canadian Anti-Fraud centreOpens in a new tab or window 

Don't hesitate to reach out to the Community if you have any other questions.

- Patricia

View reply in original post

1 REPLY 1

BellPatricia

Hey there @Mooh,

Welcome to the Bell Community, and thank you for reaching out to us.

This does sound very suspect, and much like a scam/vishing call.

A good sign it is a vishing call is when there is a threat of penalties or even arrest (such as what you described above). Bell Canada will not contact you in this context, nor contact you to request any of your personal information.

Any fraud concerns should be reported directly to the Canadian Anti-Fraud centreOpens in a new tab or window 

Don't hesitate to reach out to the Community if you have any other questions.

- Patricia