Bell land line migration to fibe

Viv
Contributor III

I received a letter notifying me that Bell is intending to discontinue landline services as of October 5, 2022!

Given the recent Rogers fiasco, as well as the fact that I had requested my land line be resumed after repeated problems with Fibe telephone, I'm very surprised that this is allowed to happen.

Is anyone else worried about this development?

3 helpful replies

Accepted Solutions

BellPatricia

Hi there @Viv. Welcome to the Bell Community.

In certain areas, Bell is in the process of migrating residential service to our Fibre network, and customers will be able to take full advantage of our Fibre to the Home network.

You can log into your MyBell account and across the top you will see a notification like the one below that explains the Fibre to the home upgrade.

BellPatricia_0-1657725230260.png

For more details on how existing services are affected, and what to expect during the technician visit check out the support article Bell network upgrade to fibreOpens in a new tab or window

Let the Community know if you have any other questions. 

- Patricia  

View reply in original post

Hey @Viv.

Rest assured, landlines are not being eliminated. Landlines are simply being migrated over to fibre to the home.

- Patricia

Paladin
Regular Contributor II

No, unless you still have a HH3000 (Home Hub 3000) with a still functioning rechargeable backup battery.

That rechargeable backup battery is no longer available from Bell, some techs might still have them in their vehicle though.

Your only other solution is to put your modem on a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).

42 REPLIES 42

BellPatricia

Hi there @Viv. Welcome to the Bell Community.

In certain areas, Bell is in the process of migrating residential service to our Fibre network, and customers will be able to take full advantage of our Fibre to the Home network.

You can log into your MyBell account and across the top you will see a notification like the one below that explains the Fibre to the home upgrade.

BellPatricia_0-1657725230260.png

For more details on how existing services are affected, and what to expect during the technician visit check out the support article Bell network upgrade to fibreOpens in a new tab or window

Let the Community know if you have any other questions. 

- Patricia  

Unfortunately, my experience with Fibe telephone service was not an upgrade, but a nuisance. Therefore I switched back to a landline.

Again, with the Rogers' outage as an experience that will probably be repeated with other network providers, why are landlines being eliminated, as they rarely required maintenance?

Paladin
Regular Contributor II

@Viv wrote:

Unfortunately, my experience with Fibe telephone service was not an upgrade, but a nuisance. Therefore I switched back to a landline.

Because of your alarm system... It's funny, in that other thread I wanted to write (but forgot) that switching back to a landline was not necessarily a good solution as those copper lines would not stay there forever or at least be usable forever as they are corroding. I certainly did not expect them to be removed so soon for you though...

Again, with the Rogers' outage as an experience that will probably be repeated with other network providers, why are landlines being eliminated, as they rarely required maintenance?

Rarely required maintenance? Well you are lucky... I became quite proficient in copper telephony terminology because of how many times Bell techs had to come here to repair those lines that "rarely require(d) maintenance"... Funny thing is that I am told that they will not be removing copper lines any time soon here...

Viv
Contributor III

So, I don't recall ever seeing Bell workers managing a copper landline from my teens to my 50s, so what's up now?

Hey @Viv.

Rest assured, landlines are not being eliminated. Landlines are simply being migrated over to fibre to the home.

- Patricia

Paladin
Regular Contributor II

@Viv wrote:

So, I don't recall ever seeing Bell workers managing a copper landline from my teens to my 50s, so what's up now?

You are probably in an area where they are in better shape...

I was switched to different pairs of copper wires multiple times, had the copper wire coming to the pole to my house at least one time and could either totally lose (DSL) signal or get extremely low speeds when it was raining when I was on DSL...

All of this for around 10 Mbps download, around 0.8 Mbps upload when I was lucky...

I had two Bell supervisors come unannounced to my home to see how their installer had done his job and while they were there I asked them why fiber was available in my (relatively) small home town and not in the big city...

I always thought copper in my area was bad because fiber had been available for so long here...

They told me that it was not bad because they had switched to fiber here so long ago, they actually installed fiber here before the big city because of how bad copper cabling was/is here...

I guess everyone situation is different...

Yak
Contributor II

I completely agree with regards to the fiasco with Rogers.

At least you got notice. Bell just cut off our landline last month without any notice whatsoever. It was working perfectly fine then line was dead the next minute. When we complained, Bell led us on for days that they would reconnect our copperline but never did and eventually said they weren't refusing us service just that they could not provide technical support for the service. We insisted Bell put the dialtone back but Bell just kept repeating they're "not able to provide technical support." Bell insisted to put as on Fibe but we refused. Fibe homephone won't work unless you have back-up power. 

catman42
Contributor II

you where lucky they just shut mine off with no warning

Called Bell Customer Call Centre on behalf of my elderly parents. Asked why one of their phone jacks had crackling sound on their telephone. Bell rep said "go to Bell Fibre and all your problems will go away" so I set up a Fibre migration install from existing copper line.

I was subsequently advised by a friend that possibly the wire to that individual jack was probably bad and to try a cordless phone set first and plug cordless base unit into a good jack, this solved the problem.

Hence forth Bell Technician called the next day and I told him to cancel the installation of the Fibre. First technician told me that lighting may strike my parents line and they would be out of service unless they went to Fibre today. I ignored his fear mongering and told him to cancel migration.

Ten minutes later technician called back and told me his supervisor said if we didn't do migration Bell was cancelling my parents Home Phone service. I told technician that they didn't have to and that due to his threats we were going to cancel our service with Bell today and that I was giving our recorded conversations to CBC news Marketplace.

Remember this should you consider purchasing any Bell services.