Slow Wifi to laptop

Garold
Contributor

Hi All,

I just received a new work laptop and I have Fibe500.  My old laptop had a few issues with the WiFi since I upgraded to Fibe500 but I ignored them since I was getting a new one.  Now with the new laptop up and running, my WiFi issues are much worse and I have no idea what the issue might be.  My speeds from the network to the modem are over 500/500 down/up but the speeds to the device are about 10MB down/up.  I'm on a 5 GHz channel with no interference.  My phone on the same network gets 500/350MB down/up in the same location.  My company IT just installed the latest WiFi drivers and have no other ideas as to the what the issue is.  Has anyone seen this?

1 helpful reply

Accepted Solutions

It didn't matter if my work VPN was on or not.  The work VPN did affect my speed but not a 20x decrease.

I figured out the problem last night though and thought I would share.  We have a Disney Circle at home for parental controls on the network and have had it for a few years.  Devices are assigned to family members, be Unmanaged, or assigned to "Home".  I figured out that it appears as though devices on the "Home" profile are being throttled down to about 10Mbps.  I'm looking through the app to see if I can find a setting for this but so far no luck.  In any case, once I moved the computer from Home to my profile or Unmanaged, everything started working normally.

View reply in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JD
Regular Contributor II

Work computer? Are you using VPN to connect to work?

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Hi @Garold (cc: @JD )

JD's question is the first one to check. A VPN connection can impact the d/l and u/l rates, 10-20%, and add latency ("travel time").

If there's a VPN running, is it always on? (connects at startup). 

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

It didn't matter if my work VPN was on or not.  The work VPN did affect my speed but not a 20x decrease.

I figured out the problem last night though and thought I would share.  We have a Disney Circle at home for parental controls on the network and have had it for a few years.  Devices are assigned to family members, be Unmanaged, or assigned to "Home".  I figured out that it appears as though devices on the "Home" profile are being throttled down to about 10Mbps.  I'm looking through the app to see if I can find a setting for this but so far no luck.  In any case, once I moved the computer from Home to my profile or Unmanaged, everything started working normally.

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Glad you got this figured out!

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.