What is WiFi 5.0 GHz - Radio 2? How to disable hidden SSID for Fibe TV

equinox
Contributor III

I am new to Bell Fiber. I am using HH4K as a gateway since I have my router configured with VPN/DHCP, etc. The Wifi on HH4K is completely disabled (primary & guest). However, when I open "Advanced tools and settings" -> "Diagnostics", I can see "WiFi 5.0 GHz - Radio 2" is activated. I scanned wifi signal in my house and don't see any new wifi SSIDs.

So what is "WiFi 5.0 GHz - Radio 2"? Why I can't see or disable it?

Thanks

1 helpful reply

Accepted Solutions

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Hi @equinox 

It's the hidden SSID for tv. It can't be disabled or turned off, regardless of what you have disabled on the HH4K.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

View reply in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Hi @equinox 

It's the hidden SSID for tv. It can't be disabled or turned off, regardless of what you have disabled on the HH4K.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me out. Since I've received the 1.15.1 firmware update to the Gigahub, PPPoE is now working successfully. 

Since I don't use the Gigahub for WiFi, is there a way that a Bell support tech can disable the hidden SSID that's used for TV permanently? (Not just until a reboot and then it's enabled again).

I use my own Access Point and I don't really need any other signals clogging potential bandwidth up. 

The other radios are disabled; I'd really appreciate it if someone could please turn off the hidden SSID as well as I don't have Fibe TV.

Thanks

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

My understanding is that the "hidden" SSID networks can't be turned off. To use an old saying, "It's a feature, not a bug."  

DMot
Contributor III

Hi everyone.  I found that with the HH4K you can disable wifi completely if you first disable wifi, then select the advanced settings button that shows up and disable all the radios (2.4, 5 and 6 GHz).  (see screen shots below).

You can also change the transmit power levels to 10% (lowest) and make sure channels are 20Mhz width and customize the channel numbers to make sure they don't interfere with your other networks (in case they get turned back on).

I use WiFi Explorer on Mac and my Bell SSIDs disappeared after that.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 10.54.16 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-17 at 10.54.22 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-17 at 10.54.33 PM.png

gmd
Contributor II

But the hidden remains, even after doing that. If you go in Diagnostics, you'll see 5.0 is up.

DMot
Contributor III

@gmd, you are right.   I noticed the same thing and ended up reducing the transmit power of all radios to the lowest setting (10%)Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 10.16.30 AM.png

I don't think reducing the transmit power on the 5GHz radio controls has any effect on the hidden signal because those controls are for all intents and purposes, fake. Or rather phantom, because I'm quite convinced these controls were designed by the hub's manufacturer to effectively shut off the 5GHz radio in instances where a TV signal is not needed but offered to ISP's and other distributors the option to deactivate the controls through the software, all the while still maintaining the illusion that the end user could turn off the radio, which as we know he or she cannot. 

It falls under common sense that since signal attenuation could likely have a detrimental effect on Fibe TV reception, Bell would not allow Fibe TV subscribers to tinker with it. I suppose that Bell could have offered two versions of the HH4000 and Giga based on Fibe TV subscription or lack thereof but that would have been costly and not always ideal. What if an Internet customer suddenly decide they want Fibe TV but forgot about turning off the now required 5GHz radio? Do they even know they need it? May as well just leave it in.     

How to disable hidden network

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

If you are talking about the hidden WiFi network for TV services, I am not aware of any way to disable that besides unplugging the home hub.