What is the mW/m2 on Home Hub 3000

MarkBe
Contributor

I have several questions concerning the HH 3000 internet modem.

With great trepidation I have scheduled an appointment for installation of this modem next week.
I am very worried and for good reason.

I recently went through an ordeal when I tried to upgrade my current Rocket modem with the
Ignite Elan Internet Gateway modem (Rogers).
As soon as the modem was connected I started to feel pain in my temples. I was standing directly
next to the modem. The technician bridged the wifi router but that didn't help.
The next day I was sick and the nasty illness lasted almost two weeks.

Needless to say I am very sensitive to EMF's and RF's.

Does anyone here have the tech specs for the Home Hub 3000?
The real nitty gritty in terms of current draw, watts etc.?
Can anyone compare the Home Hub 3000 with the Ignite Elan Internet Gateway modem 
in terms of signal strength that the two put out?

I have no problems with the Rocket modem.
To give you some numbers to digest, I took RF readings of my Rocket modem and
the Ignite Elan Internet Gateway modem.

My Rocket (bridged) was putting out .0024 mW/m2 (peak) with the meter on top of the unit.
The Ignite Elan Internet Gateway modem (bridged) was putting out 600 mW/m2 (peak) with the meter on top of the unit.

Can someone here please tell me the mW/m2 that the Home Hub 3000 puts out?
Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Thank you for your question. I am not aware of any measurements of RF energy for Bell modems. Be aware that wireless is always on and can’t be shut off, as other services are provisioned by the modem. All Bell modems do comply with all Industry Canada limits for RF emission levels. That will not likely answer your questions, but you might try the Bell forum on Reddit for more input. 

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Thanks for your reply dks. I honestly find it strange that with all of the millions of Bell customers, no one here in the forums has ever taken an RF reading with a simple RF meter.
Surely Bell must have basic technical specs for their modem that states its mW/m2 radiation?

You mentioned that Wifi is always on. I also find that to be strange. When Rogers installs their modems
Wifi is always on to, by default. BUT... it can easily be switched off using bridge mode.

Are you saying that Bell built a modem and deliberately left out the ability to bridge the modem?

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Bell uses PPPOE sessions, so bridge mode is not a good option for consumers.

They have Advanced DMZ instead. Bridging a modem does not mean you also automatically turn off the WiFi portion of it.

Regardless, a bridge mode like Rogers/Shaw modems is not possible due to the technical aspects of PPPOE sessions.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Thank you for your question. You are correct.  The Bell modem does have passthrough but not true bridging like the modems of other providers.

I have never seen measurements of any RF. That does not mean it doesn't exist somewhere. You might try a search on the actual name of the modem for more information. Such modems will be in full compliance with Industry Canada standards, however. 

Thanks folks I'm still doing research on this.
I would have assumed that this modem and Rogers' modem comply with Industry Canada standards.
That doesn't help me at all.

I need to know if the modem complies with MY HEALTH standards. Because I will be using the modem, not Industry Canada.

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

This is a user to user help forum. There's no way for us to determine if this modem complies with your health standards or not. 

That would be more something to ask a medical professional.

Thanks Vana for your reply.
What I really am still waiting for is the mW/m2 output specs for this modem.
Once I get that number I'll be able to determine if the modem will affect my health.

Unfortunately medical professionals aren't trained in the field of electronics
(or maybe that's a good thing).

MarkBe
Contributor

Will the tech guy install copper internet jacks in my house?
Or can I use the landline phone jacks for internet?
Sorry but I'm a newb at this. I've been using Rogers' cable lines up until this point.

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

While I don't have a landline anymore, my understanding is you need a Home Phone plan as it will be VOIP.

You can read more here about copper decommissioning