Gigahub Name & Password changed after power outage

OC48
Contributor

My old copper line modem name was Bell501 and had 8 character password.  We changed to Gigahub last week, new name is Bell092 and has 12 character password.  Bell tech took old modem away.  Our house power went out for an hour last night.   This morning my wifi devices all lost connection to Gigahub.   Turns out the Gigahub auto lmatically changed its name to the old modem Bell501 as well as old 8 character password.   This should never happen Bell.  You need to fix that.  Unacceptable.

1 helpful reply

Accepted Solutions

Good afternoon @Jordan87, and welcome to the Bell Community 🙂

Our technical team is aware of this, and they are working towards a resolution.

Please stay tuned, we will post updates once available.

- Patricia 

View reply in original post

17 REPLIES 17

BellPatricia

Hey there @OC48,

Welcome to the Bell Community.

We'd like to take a look at this, and have sent you a private message. Please check your Messages within your profile avatar in the top right corner.

Unsure how to check or send a private message? See How to send a private messageOpens in a new tab or window

- Patricia 

My GigaHub modem lost power, and when it came back the network name and password had reverted to its default.

I never want it to do that again. I specifically rotate the wifi password periodically in case it's compromised. I understand needing a factory reset option, but I would like that to be in my control, not due to simply losing power.

Good afternoon @Jordan87, and welcome to the Bell Community 🙂

Our technical team is aware of this, and they are working towards a resolution.

Please stay tuned, we will post updates once available.

- Patricia 

I recently got upgraded my bell internet package and received a new modem. Had no trouble setting it up initially.  But now (since Bell has confirmed the return of my old modem), many of my family's devices disconnected and it turns out my network name and password was changed to the one I previously had on my old modem.

Does Bell always make a habit of messing around with customers settings without telling them and especially without their permission?  Should I be worried that Bell employee's are spying on me, trying to access my data and computers and files?

I have to say my level of trust with bell is now completely non-existent and I will be looking for a new internet provider immediately!

When you receive a new modem, it may have a new name. What will not change is your b1 account credential. Your wireless devices will have to be re-enabled; at least that was what I had to do when switching to fibre. You can run the Virtual Repair Tool to determine the health of your network, especially if devices are disconnected.  Bell does not and can not spy on users without legal grounds. 

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Bell has is using the default SSID name with the new modem. You can give it a new SID password 

As @dks pointed out your b1 account password would not be changed by Bell.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

@dks  & @ZaneP  are absolutely correct. Your internet account credentials did not change. All new or replacement modems are set up & sent with their default Network name (SSID) and Password. If you wish this can be changed if you so desire.

I have included the following web link that may be of assistance to you should you desire to make any changes to your Giga Hub modem.

Manage Your Giga Hub Modem Settings

https://support.bell.ca/internet/connection-help/how_to_use_modem_gui?

It is unfortunate that you feel the way you do about your recent modem change.

I do not work for Bell. I am just one member of the Bell Community Forum trying to help out another member.

Thank you for reaching out & sharing this.

Take care.

I didn't say anything about my account name.

I previously had a bell modem on Fibe 50 with wifi network name: NetworkXYZ (not the actual name) and password: Pass123.

Then upgraded to Fibe 1.5 and received a new modem, came with default network name: Bell992 etc.

I changed the new modem network name to: NetworkABC, password: Pass999.

Then a day after I receive the confirmation email from bell that they received my old equipment, our devices started dropping and on investigation the network name had been changed to the old network name from the old modem (NetworkXYZ instead of the new NetworkABC).

The only conclusion I can draw is that whatever tech was trying to reset the old equipment now in their possession messed something up on my new hardware and tried to change it to the last saved data they had on their end, which was the old network name.

PS - there were no power outages.

I did, and they changed it back to the old custom network name I had on the old modem.  That doesn't happen unless someone goes and changes it, and neither myself nor my wife did so.