Unable to access Webmail links when out of Canada

PeterinThailand
Contributor

Was previously advised by on phone tech support that all your Webmail access links are not working for persons who are out of Canada and this problem has been going on since March 19.  This creates a major problem for your customers not to be able to get their emails for weeks now!   Please Escalate this major customer service problem up the chain of command for priority resolution.  Please also advise when we might be able to access our sympatico emails.

25 REPLIES 25

CJ
Contributor II

As I am about to travel to Europe this could be a major concern for me.

I had no problem accessing my sympatico.ca e-mails when recently in Mexico in February and early March but ONLY through the web portal, not directly on our cell phones using WiFi which is never a problem when travelling within Canada. 

Are you saying, Peter, that you now cannot access your Bell e-mails via the web portal?

BellDRock
Community Manager

@PeterinThailand 

Thanks for sharing your issue! @CJ is correct, the web portal is the way to access your email outside of Canada.

We would like to dig a little deeper with you if you're still having issues, and have sent you a Private Message to capture further details.

Please check your Inbox, next to your Profile avatar in the top right corner.

Unsure how check or send a Private Message? See How to Send a Private Message.

Vossy
Regular Contributor

Hi @PeterinThailand 

You can forward your Bell email to another provider such as Gmail which does not have international restrictions. If you do this before travelling, you should be able to get all your emails.

Good luck

Gusto
Contributor

I'm using an iPhone SE (IOS 15.21) and when in Europe recently my Mail program on the iPhone would not work. Today I spoke with someone at Bell tech support who said Bell doesn't allow the app on my iPhone to be used internationally, only in Canada. This seems very strange, why wouldn't Bell be able to trust the way Apple have designed the app to be used on an iPhone? This is very inconvenient and I'm shocked I haven't heard more about this. Have you discovered a work-around?

Also, while abroad, (June and July 2022) I had numerous issues trying to login to my sympatico email account using webmail.bell.net. I tried using the data plan on a Norway SIM card and also used wifi in various hotels and had numerous challenges. Some days I couldn't login at all, other days it would work for an hour and then not work an hour later. I tried using Safari, Firefox and Chrome without there being much difference. I seemed to get into my account more frequently using Safari, I think in part because I was able to easily Clear All Browsing History in the Safari program in Settings on my phone.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you resolve it?

From what I can tell I need to have had all my emails which are sent to my sympatico email address Forwarded to another email account like Gmail, and this needs to happen BEFORE I leave Canada. This is a major headache and frankly a disaster for Bell to basically abandon all customers who travel internationally. 

If I liked Gmail more I would simply abandon my sympatico email accounts, but that route has another host of headaches related to abandoning an email address I've used for more than 20 years.

How have you resolved your email access headaches when outside Canada?

BellPatricia

Hi there @Gusto. Thanks for reaching out to the Bell Community.

When travelling outside of Canada and the United States, you can access your email using Bell WebmailOpens in a new tab or window

- Patricia

BellPatricia,

I am painfully aware of Bell webmail, as you must have been missed in my initial post. Bell webmail is a terrible solution to providing access to sympatico email from abroad. Until Bell fixes Bell webmail I have no plans to use it again when abroad. I plan to have all my sympatico emails forwarded to my alternative gmail email account. It's sad that Bell can't properly support international travelers by providing better email access.

Best,

Webmail is an extraordinarily inefficient and cumbersome product that comes nowhere close to a true e-mail client.  What's more I have found it difficult and often impossible to log into when traveling internationly and unbelievably slow on those occasions when it is accessible.  On a recent trip to Mauritius there were more days that I could nor access webmail at all then days that I could.  It's time that Bell allowed email clients to work outside of Canada

David027
Contributor III

This worked for me on a recent trip out of the country but how pitiful is it the one of "best" telecommunications providers in our country force us into this workaround - pushing us to 3rd party providers for efficient service. Its time for Bell to step up here.  My friends with Telus or Rogers accounts do not face this problem.

Dear Patricia , as usual Bell doesn't provide good services for emails on iPhone or iPad when you are travelling outside of Canada since many years and it's a pity. I had these issues in China, Japan , Thailand, Spain , UK , etc and now I'm in NZ with the same problem since a week. Using webmail.bell.net is a pain because some times it's stuck. So thank's  again Bell to be so slow to offer good services to customers travelling all over the world !