At what point is Roam Better activated?

jzwanzig
Contributor

When travelling in France, for example, with Roam Better, I assume that if my phone is on and in airplane mode, I'm not charged, can someone confirm? What about if I have Roaming data services turned off on the phone, am I still charged? I would like combination of settings such that I can use the phone on WiFi but not be charged the $15/day for Roam Better (unless I have to make a call or something).

thanks!

2 helpful replies

Accepted Solutions

BellPatricia

Hey @jzwanzig. Thanks so much for your post, and welcome to the Bell Community 🙂

For more information on Roam Better check out our How To article: Controlling and tracking your usage while travellingOpens in a new tab or window.

- Patricia

View reply in original post

You will be billed for all usage if you are receiving call, texts, etc. I have included the Pay per use rates below & Roaming Add-on Option.

Before you leave the country, you need to make a decision to either 1. Turn off Data & Roaming, 2. Turn on Airplane mode, 3. Add Roaming add-on, or 4. Accept current Pay per use rates for Data usage, Voice, LD, & Texting.

The only way to avoid any charges while in Mexico, is to turn off your Data & roaming in Settings on your device. You would also need to turn Airplane mode on. 

While outside of Canada, making and receiving calls, sending text messages, checking your voicemail, and using data (including Instagram, Whatsapp, or TikTok, etc., and sharing or receiving a picture via text) all count as Roaming usage and / or Pay Per Use usage  rates.

Keeping your device data turned on may also trigger roaming usage, as most applications on your device refresh content in the background, resulting in roaming charges.

You can use airplane mode to avoid roaming charges when travelling. You won't be able to send or receive text messages or phone calls, or use data services, but you could connect to a Wi-Fi network to check your email or browse the internet.

Turn off Data Roaming or prepare for a trip

Need to avoid roaming charges because you arrived at your destination without an international data plan? Check your Cellular Data options and turn off Data Roaming.

1. In the Settings app, tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data.
  2. Turn on Cellular Data, then tap Cellular Data Options.
  3. Turn off Data Roaming.
  4. Turn off Cellular Data, or Mobile Data.
  5. Turn on airplane mode

Note: It may take up to 90 days for roaming charges to appear on your bill.

Pay Per Use rates

What are Bell Mobility’s current pay-per-use rates?

Roam Better - with home data

Plan add-ons (bell.ca)

I have include a lot of information for you to digest. You need to decide on your next steps before you leave Canada.

Enjoy your vacation!

Take care.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

View reply in original post

21 REPLIES 21

BellPatricia

Hey @jzwanzig. Thanks so much for your post, and welcome to the Bell Community 🙂

For more information on Roam Better check out our How To article: Controlling and tracking your usage while travellingOpens in a new tab or window.

- Patricia

I accidentally turned off my airplane mode for about a minute. It pinged the foreign network. Will I be charged the $15/ day international roaming charge even though I didn’t use any date or voice/text?

If I have roam better, have the phone on for emergency calls and data turned off but do not answer or make a call, will I be charged if someone sends me a text?  Or is a text considered data and I will not receive it? 

Hi there, @Rob60.

Texts are not considered data and are considered their own form of usage. With that said, having your phone set for emergency calls only, airplane mode, etc. will prevent you from automatically receiving text messages.

Check out our Roam Better FAQOpens in a new tab or window for more info, including what does and doesn't trigger the daily fee.

If I add Roam Better - International, will I get charged the daily fee ($16) if I receive a text/SMS message, or ONLY if I send one?

JM
Contributor II

The FAQ states : “You’ll only be charged the daily fee when you make or answer a call, send a text message, or when data is sent or received while in your Roam Better destination.”. What it does NOT state is that incoming texts also cause activation. This was reaffirmed by 3 different tech support folks I just spoke to. So yeah, if you get a spam text, you’re going to pay $16 for it. Same for 2FA sms from online services I assume. I switch data roaming off and use eSIMs but leave my primary line active. I was told that even connecting to a network could activate roam better so the only way to truly avoid the charge is to put your phone in airplane mode. Very useful. 

Hoping for a written response from a Bell moderator. The Roam Better FAQ states:

”2. How does the Roam Better daily fee work?

You'll only be charged the daily fee when you make or answer a call, send a text message, or when data is sent or received while in your Roam Better destination … If you’ve added Roam Better but don’t want to be charged when arriving at your Roam Better destination, make sure data roaming is turned off on your device, don't make or answer any calls, and don't send any text messages.” 

For brief context, I was recently in the UK for 5 weeks (where I use a UK eSIM for my calls and data) and was charged for 13 roaming “events” at $16/day. My Bell SIM remained active, but data roaming was turned off (and I actually completely blocked data in my plan for all but 2 days), no calls were made with my Bell number (any incoming calls were left unanswered to go to voicemail), and I sent no texts. After a long discussion with Bell, they have dropped all of the charges. The primary explanation for the charges was that I had received texts on the days in question. I don’t recall receiving any texts (and the info on MyBell doesn’t shed any light), but even if I did there should be no roaming charge per the FAQ. 

Can you please confirm that the FAQ is accurate, and that Roam Better “events” and charges should not be triggered if: 

1. I turn off data roaming (and/or block data on my plan); AND 
  2. I don’t make any phone calls; AND 
  3. I don’t answer any incoming calls and let them go to voicemail; AND 
  4. I don’t send any texts BUT 
  5. I do receive some incoming texts. 

I will be going to Cancun to a resort with hopefully decent Wi-Fi for 10 days. What happens if I receive phone calls or text messages (not iphone users although I am) while I am there? How do the charges work when I am international but I am not calling out but I am receiving? Thanks

You will be billed for all usage if you are receiving call, texts, etc. I have included the Pay per use rates below & Roaming Add-on Option.

Before you leave the country, you need to make a decision to either 1. Turn off Data & Roaming, 2. Turn on Airplane mode, 3. Add Roaming add-on, or 4. Accept current Pay per use rates for Data usage, Voice, LD, & Texting.

The only way to avoid any charges while in Mexico, is to turn off your Data & roaming in Settings on your device. You would also need to turn Airplane mode on. 

While outside of Canada, making and receiving calls, sending text messages, checking your voicemail, and using data (including Instagram, Whatsapp, or TikTok, etc., and sharing or receiving a picture via text) all count as Roaming usage and / or Pay Per Use usage  rates.

Keeping your device data turned on may also trigger roaming usage, as most applications on your device refresh content in the background, resulting in roaming charges.

You can use airplane mode to avoid roaming charges when travelling. You won't be able to send or receive text messages or phone calls, or use data services, but you could connect to a Wi-Fi network to check your email or browse the internet.

Turn off Data Roaming or prepare for a trip

Need to avoid roaming charges because you arrived at your destination without an international data plan? Check your Cellular Data options and turn off Data Roaming.

1. In the Settings app, tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data.
  2. Turn on Cellular Data, then tap Cellular Data Options.
  3. Turn off Data Roaming.
  4. Turn off Cellular Data, or Mobile Data.
  5. Turn on airplane mode

Note: It may take up to 90 days for roaming charges to appear on your bill.

Pay Per Use rates

What are Bell Mobility’s current pay-per-use rates?

Roam Better - with home data

Plan add-ons (bell.ca)

I have include a lot of information for you to digest. You need to decide on your next steps before you leave Canada.

Enjoy your vacation!

Take care.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.