Bill payments question - DRO?

Soul
Contributor

So i have had my account and have come to the end of my term and decided to keep my phone rather then trade it in and start over on a new contract. I get my bill abd my services are all paid up but the payment for my phone comes in and it's a extra 800$ on top of my services bill. There is no way to just keep making payments on that phone? I have to pay it all off at once? And my phone can be suspended because my phone is on the bill and not my services? I pay my services on time every time and put the extra towards my phone every time? Why should my services get cut off if I'm paying them on time because of the overdue amount........the overdue amount is my phone not my services.

21 REPLIES 21

It took 2 yrs to pay off my new phone now that my contract is done they are telling me if I don’t return my phone I owe 560 more ...

Good Day. Based on the limited information that you have provided, I can only assume that you purchased your mobility plan & device 24 months ago. If I am correct, then you probably signed up for the: SmartPay plan with the Device Return Option. 

The following represent excerpts taken from the plan details:

“Pay lower monthly payments for your smartphone when activating on an eligible 2-year plan with Bell SmartPay. At the end of your 2-year term, you can either return your phone in good working condition and upgrade to a new device if you wish, or keep your device and pay back the Device Return Option Deferred Amount.

You can view your Bell mobility agreement in MyBell. It will include all of the details that you agreed to when you activated your mobility service & device. There should be nothing new or surprising in this document.

If what you are being asked to do in terms of billing or device return is incorrect, then you should call & discuss this with Bell Mobility. Their number is: 1 800 667-0123 or dial  *611 from any Bell mobile device.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

So I’m not sure how this all works. We are due for upgrades but we owe on old phones. We either have to give phones back in working order or pay for them and then we can upgrade. Not much benefit for signing a 2 year contract if you ask me. Am I wrong on how this works?

Good Day. 

Based on the limited information that you have provided, I can only assume that you purchased your mobility plan & device within the last 24 months. If I am correct, then you probably signed up for the: SmartPay plan with the Device Return Option. 

This option allows you to reduce your monthly payments even further over the 24 month period with the option to upgrade after 3 months, keeping the device or returning it in good working order. 

You are now able to purchase a new device over 24 months vs. outlaying the full amount up front.

The following represent excerpts taken from the plan details:

“Pay lower monthly payments for your smartphone when activating on an eligible 2-year plan with Bell SmartPay. At the end of your 2-year term, you can either return your phone in good working condition and upgrade to a new device if you wish, or keep your device and pay back the Device Return Option Deferred Amount.

You can view your Bell mobility agreement in MyBell. It will include all of the details that you agreed to when you activated your mobility service & device.

Thank you for reaching out to the Bell Community Form.

Take care.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

If I pay the deferred payment at the end of my contract to give my current phone to my child, am I able to choose a new phone for myself?

You may change your plan at the end of your current agreement to one of Bell's available Bring Your Own Device plans. When your Bell SmartPay Agreement ends, The Device Return Option Deferred Amount will also come due.

After paying off the balance on the deferred payment, you can choose to give this device to your child or choose to keep it for yourself.

If you so desire, you may also choose to purchase another smartphone device with another eligible 2 yr. plan.

The following web link will assist in answering any further questions you might have.

What is Bell SmartPay? : What is Bell SmartPay?

If you require further clarification & specific details to confirm your outstanding balance, you can call Bell Mobility Customer Service billing & orders at: 1 800 667-0123 or dial *611 from any Bell mobile device.

Take care & thank you for reaching out to the Bell Community Forum.

When I signed up for my current agreement it was without the phone return option. Now with 3 months left in my contract Bell says I am supposed to return my phone. I have my agreement but see no reference to the return option being chosen - how can I confirm or where on the agreement would it be? Would it be referenced in my monthly statement somewhere?

thanks

Good day.

To view your specific deferred amount, please refer to your Service Agreement, which you can view by logging in to MyBell. You can view your contract online at any time.

1. Log in to MyBell.
  2. On the left, under Service profiles, select your Bell Mobility account.
  3. Select View my Bell Mobility agreements(s).

When you agree to DRO, you agree to have a portion of the cost of the phone deferred to the end of your term. The amount varies from phone to phone, but your options at the end of your term remain the same.

• Return the phone in undamaged, working condition to a Bell store.
  • Pay the DRO in full.

For more information, please take a look at:

What is Device Return Option? and Device Return Option: when your agreement ends

Should you require any further assistance, you should contact Bell Mobility Customer Service accounts & billing at: 1 800 667-0123 or dial *611 from any Bell mobile device

Take care.

DRO Deferred Amount Charge

what is DRO ? in layman terms please

It sounds like you had opted into Bell Mobility Device Return Option when you first signed onto your contract.

When you agree to DRO, you agree to have a portion of the cost of the phone deferred to the end of your term. The amount varies from phone to phone, but your options at the end of your term remain the same.

• Return the phone in undamaged, working condition to a Bell store.
  • Pay the DRO in full.

For more information, please take a look at our How To article What is Device Return Option? and support page on Device Return Option: when your agreement ends

Do you already have a phone on the Device Return Option? Get your device details on MyBell, such as how much your Deferred Amount is and when your agreement ends.

Hopefully this has been of assistance to you.

Take care.