Unsubscribe from Roam Better

queequeg
Contributor

It was as easy as sending a text message to subscribe to Roam Better.

However, Bell makes it insiduously difficult to unsubscribe (probably in the hope you forget your setting and pay a 14$/day fee next time you travel with your SIM card and you forget you had the service on: it will charge you as soon as any app on your phone ping the network, which means almost certainly every day of your travel).

The MyBell app (mobile or web) does not permit you to deactivate the feature, what gives? Bell wants you to *contact them* to unsubscribe. Seems very dishonest to me!

Anyone knows if there is a text message option to unsubscribe, just like the one that allows you to subscribe?

1 helpful reply

Accepted Solutions

BellElla
Retired Moderator

Hi!

Thank you for your message. For your reference, once you've enrolled in Roam Better, you will be covered for all future trips and will only be charged on days when you use your phone in a Roam Better destination. You will not be charged when you are not roaming. If you'd like to unsubscribe, please contact usOpens in a new tab or window

At this time, removing Roam Better online is not available. However do we thank you for your feedback.

View reply in original post

48 REPLIES 48

BellElla
Retired Moderator

Hi!

Thank you for your message. For your reference, once you've enrolled in Roam Better, you will be covered for all future trips and will only be charged on days when you use your phone in a Roam Better destination. You will not be charged when you are not roaming. If you'd like to unsubscribe, please contact usOpens in a new tab or window

At this time, removing Roam Better online is not available. However do we thank you for your feedback.

I have been trying to unsubscribe to this for a year, and yes everytime I access the internet or download a text picture (turn on mobile data) I use a small amount of data and I get charged the standard $10/month.  I am NOT travelling at all.  This recently stopped when I got a new phone.  Now I can't get pictures as mobile data won't even turn on ... so frustrating.  

santana72
Contributor

I will also add here another insidious side to Roam Better. The daily charge will get triggered even when receiving a SMS message. Clearly, Bell does not have its customers' best interests in mind when designing these features. It is a predatory practice to charge for this feature for incoming SMS, not informing users of Roam Better activations for each day and not making it easy to turn-off Roam Better. Needless to say, it would be naive to think anything will change given the current state of Canadian wireless oligopoly. 

Hey @santana72. Thanks for posting to the Community.

Check out the Roam better FAQsOpens in a new tab or window

FAQ #9 : How will I be charged if I’m enrolled in Roam Better – with home data or Roam Better – with 100MB while travelling? You will only be charged the Roam Better - with home data or Roam Better - with 100 MB daily fee when you make or answer a call, send a text message, or when data is sent or received while in your Roam Better destination. For any days that you do not use voice, text or data in a Roam Better destination, you will not be charged the Roam Better - with home data or Roam Better - with 100 MB daily fee. If you are enrolled but do not want to be charged when arriving at your Roam Better destination, make sure that data roaming is turned off on your device, don't make or answer any calls, and don't send any text messages. Note: Premium texts and Text to Landline messages are not included and are subject to additional charges.

I can turn on the Roam Better feature for travel easily yet to turn it off I have to go on chat live and jump through hoops to turn it off. Considering we share the longest border in the world with the USA many of us living along that border will ping off their towers and will roam in that country.  If my roam better feature is on  I'll get charged.  I should be able to turn this feature off as easily as I can turn it on.  Not being able to do so is dishonest practice.  Bell just collecting charges hoping people just pay them because it's such a pain to turn it off. 

I've added Roam Better but now need to remove it from my package. Bell isnt allowing me to do it. Does anyone know how to do this?

WelshTerrier
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

For your reference, once you've enrolled in Roam Better, you will be covered for all future trips and will only be charged on days when you use your phone in a Roam Better destination. You will not be charged when you are not roaming. If you'd like to unsubscribe, please BELL Mobility. Taking this feature off via online is not available.

To contact Bell Mobility call: 1-800-667-0123

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Yesterday I was on the north shore of Lake Ontario near Colborne and I got a message that it had been activated. 

I am so tired of "If you'd like to unsubscribe, please contact us".  I am crazy busy and every time I call Bell it takes me hours to get thru to anyone who knows anything ... I'm tired of them slowly jacking up prices by temporary "bonus credits" ... crazy crazy crazy ... we need a better, more honest PROACTIVE competitor. Why do I have to call them to fix anything .... they know issues are there.