Biff
Contributor

How do I improve buffering?

1 helpful reply

Accepted Solutions

WelshTerrier
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

There are any number of factors that affect buffering. All of these items singularly or in combination with each other will affect your video steaming experience whether it be on specific device, TV , computer, etc. I will try to list a few that help in reducing your buffering:

1. Start by testing your internet speed.
  2. How far is you TV from the modem? Wireless or wired?
  3. Have a look at your TV Video & Receiver video settings & adjust accordingly.
  4. Have you cleared your cache or cookies recently in your web browsers?
  5. Verify all of your apps, iOS, OS, etc. are up to date.
  6. Reducing the video stream quality when your connection is slow can stop buffering.
  7. Pause the stream and allow for the video to catch up.
  8. Close other apps or services that might be utilizing your bandwidth in the background or being used on other devices, e.g. games, devices, PS5, etc.
  9. Limit devices on your network. E.g. usage & amount of time.
  10. You can try to download the video, etc. versus streaming it.
  11. Do a complete power off of your modem by unplugging it from it's source, waiting 30 seconds, & plugging it back in.
  12. Can this device be connected with ethernet vs. wireless?
  13. How much bandwidth do you have? Speed? Consider increasing this in small incremental steps. E.g. 150Mps > 150 > 500 > 150Mps etc.

I could keep adding to this list. I can only suggest that you observe what is being used around you when buffering starts to occur.

Thank you for reaching out to the Bell Community Forum. Hopefully some of these suggestions can be of assistance to you.

Take care.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

View reply in original post

6 REPLIES 6

WelshTerrier
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

There are any number of factors that affect buffering. All of these items singularly or in combination with each other will affect your video steaming experience whether it be on specific device, TV , computer, etc. I will try to list a few that help in reducing your buffering:

1. Start by testing your internet speed.
  2. How far is you TV from the modem? Wireless or wired?
  3. Have a look at your TV Video & Receiver video settings & adjust accordingly.
  4. Have you cleared your cache or cookies recently in your web browsers?
  5. Verify all of your apps, iOS, OS, etc. are up to date.
  6. Reducing the video stream quality when your connection is slow can stop buffering.
  7. Pause the stream and allow for the video to catch up.
  8. Close other apps or services that might be utilizing your bandwidth in the background or being used on other devices, e.g. games, devices, PS5, etc.
  9. Limit devices on your network. E.g. usage & amount of time.
  10. You can try to download the video, etc. versus streaming it.
  11. Do a complete power off of your modem by unplugging it from it's source, waiting 30 seconds, & plugging it back in.
  12. Can this device be connected with ethernet vs. wireless?
  13. How much bandwidth do you have? Speed? Consider increasing this in small incremental steps. E.g. 150Mps > 150 > 500 > 150Mps etc.

I could keep adding to this list. I can only suggest that you observe what is being used around you when buffering starts to occur.

Thank you for reaching out to the Bell Community Forum. Hopefully some of these suggestions can be of assistance to you.

Take care.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

If I change from Fibe 50 to Fibe 100 will it help with streaming speeds and avoid less buffering ?

Hi there @Dan7,

Welcome to the Bell Community 🙂

Upgrading your Internet to a higher download speed may help with buffering. 

Can you share a bit more information with the Community regarding your set up; such as, what type of TV equipment/modem you have, and are you using a wired or a wireless internet connection? How many devices are typically being used at the same time? What type of streaming service are you using, Fibe TV app, or something else?

We also recommend checking out the helpful suggestions that @WelshTerrier posted above to learn a bit more about how you can troubleshooting and reduce buffering.

The Community is here for you if you have other questions.

- Patricia

GaryC
Contributor

FibeTV box is garbage.  The Disney+ app keeps buffering nonstop.  I tried clearing the cache, and force stopping, and starting again to no avail.  Finally got fed up and turned on my PS5 and watched it via the PS5.  So the issue is not at all with my internet connection but solely this FibeTV box.  It does the same with the Paramount+ app too.  Again, no problem if I try running Paramount off an Amazon FireTV stick. 

WelshTerrier
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Good Day.

There are many factors that affect buffering including the number of devices being used simultaneously, video quality, download speed, etc.

Which Fibe Internet package do subscribe to? Your bandwidth? Have you tried running a Speed test? Bell modem model?

Are you connecting via a wired or wireless network? Which devices are you connecting with?

Have you had a chance to view my earlier checklist that I put together with possible helpful suggestions?

Have you discussed your buffering issue with Bell tech support?

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Take care.

If you read my post, I clearly stated the issue is with the Bell FibeTV box.  It can't handle the apps, either because it lacks processing power or RAM.  It has nothing to do with any other reason other than the lack of functionality.  How is it that the PS5, laptop, or Amazon FireTV stick has no problem running or streaming the apps (at highest quality), but somehow the fact the FibeTV box cannot is somehow unrelated to it and it must be something else like the internet speed, bandwidth or modem?  If it had anything to do with bandwidth, modem or connection, the other devices would also buffer and fail to run.  The box glitches from time to time too.  The problem is the box and it's components and/or software.  Too many useless applications loaded into it.