Advanced DMZ issue of Giga Hub (HH4000)

stan25zh
Contributor II

Hi,

I was trying to configure the Advanced DMZ on the Giga Hub, and there is an issue which causes the host cannot access Internet even a public IP was assigned.

The problem is the Subnet mask returned from the Giga Hub. the value of Subnet mask acquired by the host is 128.0.0.0, which definitely is not a good subnet mask. If I kept static values of IP (the one auto-acquired) and DNS servers, and use Subnet mask as 255.255.255.255, the Internet access is all good. But this is just a workaround since the public IP might change with new connections.

Could you fix this bad Subnet mask issue to make the Advanced DMZ really usable?

Thanks!

24 REPLIES 24

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Hi @cclo 

You're not understanding what I mean about the speed test. You must do the Bell-server-to-modem speed test that's on the Hub's dashboard.

Speed test .jpg

Then click on Start Test

Speed Test 1.jpgThen you'll see the results.

Speed Test 2.jpg

I have a 1.5Gb/940Mb plan, but as you see my d/l and u/l is a little overprovisioned by Bell, so my results are even better.

By doing this test first, it will confirm that your modem is getting the speeds you pay for. Then you can other speed tests from another device. Bell will not help on d/l and u/l speeds past their modem to your Firewalla. Their support ends at their equipment, not CPE.

In my opinion don't try to use ADMZ. Connect the Firewalla to the 10Gb port on the modem and connect with PPPoE.

Hope this helps.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

cclo
Contributor

I have the same issue when I try to use Advanced DMZ.  I think the reason is because we are using the 10Gbp Port.  If you use any of those Yellow Ports... you will get an IP address... and you will see your IP address even on Advanced DMZ...  But those ports are only 1G.   

cclo_0-1694300864138.jpeg

I understand... The speed test under the Modem is fine of course, I getting 3.0Gbps.  But there are people out there that wanted to use there own FireWall.  The reason I using it, because I have IP cameras and a server at home!  For me to access my server and my IP Camera from outside, I need to VPN to my home's network.  In order to do this, I have to set up my own firewall...   The problem is Bell doesn't have "BRIDGE MODE" like Rogers.  If you ask them, there solution is "Advance DMZ".  And IT DOES NOT WORK!  "I AM" using Firewalla to the 10Gb port and log in using PPPoE, and by doing so... My 3.0Gbps Connection became 1.3bps...  As I show you on the speed test on the last post.  I also show you the same test under Advance DMZ and DHCP and the speed double!!!   I don't understand why Bell still using PPPoE in the first place...   As Rogers and everyone else use DHCP.  PPPoE was use back in dial up days for god sake!

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

I have always understood that your LAN maximum speed is not the same as your WAN subscribed rate. But you have only now confirmed that Bell is delivering the speed you pay for.

It's a situation which frustrates you, but one for which there is no fix without unwanted outcomes (latency problems; degraded transfer rates). Don't be upset with me. I'm trying to get you to accept reality. 

I would love to run my own Asus router in bridge mode to the HomeHub 4000, BUT I CAN'T! Keep in mind that 99% of Bell's retail customers don't have the requirements that you do. If you require a true bridge mode, then you won't get it from Bell.

Bell's gateway modems HH4000 and GigaHub have an ONT that's soldered onto the board. It can't be removed and plugged into your router. So there's no bypass possible.

There are no other workarounds, so you'll have to deal with it. Sorry.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Hey no worry, I not upset with you..   I didn't get into this issue until my speed went above 1 Gbps.  When I first join Bell, they given me a HH3000 and I never have issue with it.  Once it above 1.5 Gbps is when I started to have issue.  Right now Bell is the only one that have Fiber to Home in my area.  Rogers kept talking and talking but never have any action!  When I was with Rogers with there DOCIS modem, I have to reboot that stupid modem once every few weeks... and with Rogers I will never get the upload speed I am getting from Bell...  I love Fiber to my house....   I just hope Rogers can get there act together... The worst case is Rogers kept call me!!! I told them, don't call me until you have Fiber install to my house.   Again, thanks for the help...  

NeVaR
Contributor

I recently got HH4000/Giga Hub and connect to my pfsense. I was able to see public ip when I set pfsense to Advanced DMZ. I recently unplug DAC/Media converter to plug to ups. Then I notice that I'm getting 192.168.2.x instead of public ip. I checked that pfsense is in the DMZ and advacned DMZ is checked. I try rebooting the pfsense and still using 192.168.2.x as the gateway instead 142.198.241.x. This causing double NAT issues prevent from access device from the internet.

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Did you reboot the modem?

I plugged for 10 sec. and i also reboot my pfsense but no luck. pfsense still showing 192.168.2.x rather than 142.198.241.x. Unless there is order of step that it need follow in order to get the public address? I only solution that I can think of is to do port forwarding to my pfsense. So far I can access application remotely. My GigaHub is running firmware 1.16.5 and hardwrae version 5690-000001-000

TECHEVO
Contributor

I'm having same the problem, in ADMZ the interface of my firewall receive an IP with a mask of /1.  This is stupid as it includes half of the possible IP v4 of the world!!  I understand Bell is trying to include the default gateway ( 10.11.23.105 in my case ) pointing to the same interface but it's just lazy engineering.  All of the other interface on the firewall are conflicting because the network includes the RFC1918 class A IP 10.0.0.0/8.   

Bell - Please fix the ADMZ so it provides proper subnet mask according to proper networking instead of doing lazy engineering corner cutting techniques.

@TECHEVO Have you found a solution to this?  I just noticed that I got a subnet of 128.0.0.1 to my DHCP request on the ADMZ as well.  And am not sure what the correct fix is to this problem.

I'm running a UDM Pro connected to the ADMZ port, and while I can ping and curl from the UDM Pro ssh, none of my devices on the network are able to route to the internet.  I'm not sure if this is related, but am becoming quite frustrated with the ADMZ configuration.