Can I connect WiFi Pods with an ethernet cord?

DanJ
Contributor

Can I connect the wifi pods to the HH3000 with an ethernet cable and have it send out a more robust wifi signal in the area the pod is in, or is the ethernet port on the pod only for connecting a device to it? My HH3000 is in the basement, connected to my 4K PVR on the main floor using coax and a DECA adaptor to ethernet, and I was thinking of running a splitter and connecting to the wifi pod rather than buying a new router and doing whatever I have to do to connect it to the HH3000. Our main floor wifi basically is not good even with the pods.

10 REPLIES 10

BellPatricia

Hey @DanJ. Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community. That is a really great question. 🙂

Yes, you can hardwire your Wi-Fi pod to the HH3000 with an Ethernet cable.

Let the Community know how it goes.

- Patricia

Hi Patricia, 

Any insights you can share with regards to NEW WiFi pods with latest gen hardware from Plume to support WiFi 6 and even 6E? Given that the Giga Hub supports 6E and Plume has Pods with 6E it makes sense to move past old dated AC pods... 🙂

A couple years back I had a "senior" tech in the house and one thing that was recommended was connecting the POD to the home network using the POD ethernet jack.  This worked great for couple years.  Yesterday HH3000 had some issues and online tech 'reset' it (don't know what that means) and applied a firmware update.
Now the POD with ethernet appears to be causing a WiFi / network issue even with hard wired devices such as a TV.
I've had to unplug POD ethernet.  
Is this a setting that was erased/reset?  how do I correct and restore the POD ethernet connection?

PaY
Contributor

btw, an online bell tech today suggested that this is NOT the way to use the ethernet jack.  it is only intended to hardwire a device (such as TV, etc.) that doesn't have WiFi.  

I don't know that I agree, given the experience of the last couple years, and only now that HH3000 was modified the POD isn't behaving the same way?

help please.

Good evening @PaY,

Welcome to the Bell Community.

Can you please clarify the exact issue that you're experiencing with your network/W-Fi when the Wi-Fi Pod is plugged in? Is the issue affecting a certain device?

We recommend using the Wi-Fi checkup tool. It will alert and flag potential issues with Wi-Fi pods. For more information check out this How to: Ensure optimal home Wi-Fi connection with the Wi-Fi Checkup ToolOpens in a new tab or window

Keep the Community posted on how everything is going.

- Patricia

Hello Patricia, thank you for your response.

Couple years back i was having very poor wifi and complained to the extent that a VP sent a tech.  Tech claimed to be "the tech they send when problem MUST be resolved".  He informed me that I could use 1 or many PODs connected by ethernet to 'amplify' the wifi in the proximity of the POD.  He even helped rewire my common area of the house to do exactly this.  This worked exceptionally for years.  Recently, I had some internet problem and the online tech said they had to reset router and update firmware.  The POD in question appeared to start causing interference.  A second call to Bell support and they advised that the "POD cannot be used like that" and "I should unplug the ethernet cable".  so, my questions are, 1. why did it work before, 2., why won't it work like that now, and 3. how do get it to work like it did before?

Hi @PaY,
In order for us to be able to best assist you, please clarify exactly what you mean when you say 'The POD in question appeared to start causing interference'. What is happening that makes you suspect the pod is causing interference?

Thank you,

- Patricia

It was causing slowness and outages across the home network, both WiFi and wired.  eg, laptop browsing was slow or interrupted, wired TVs (samsung smart tv) was pausing, disconnecting, etc.

when I unplugged the POD from the ethernet the problems went away (and stayed away) immediately.

but, again, this not not the case for the last couple years.

PaY
Contributor

I have a feeling with the "senior" tech was onsite a couple years back, he had the POD and the HH3000 configured in a special way which the recent techs said is not possible.?????