Can I turn off Wi-Fi broadcasting?

MindfulGal
Contributor

Is there a way to turn my wi-fi off on the modem besides just unplugging everything. Thank you.

3 helpful replies

Accepted Solutions

Hi @MindfulGal, thanks for your post and welcome to the Bell Community. Great suggestion @AlexS 🙂

When you log into your modem portal via 192.168.2.1 select Manage my Wi-Fi to turn Whole Home Wi-Fi ON & OFF.

You should then see the Advanced Wi-Fi Setting menu. From there you can turn off the Wi-Fi radios by using the ON/OFF slider.

Advanced WiFi Settings2.PNG

View reply in original post

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

I believe there are still hidden wifi channels which support Fibe TV and the pods which remain active. You can turn off some but not all wireless signals. It also depends on the modem. 

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

@gmd wrote:

If I go under Statistics/IGMP, I see that my FibeTV box is connected through RADIO5G although it is hardwired with Ethernet straight to the modem/router.

You can't turn off the hidden wi-fi channels, even if you have hardwired the box. 

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

51 REPLIES 51

AlexS
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

http://192.168.2.1/

u may also try to push the power button and see if it will shut off or restart.

Oh I wish it had something old-fashioned like an on-off button but it doesn't. It has a reboot button and menu buttons but nothing to just turn the modem or wi-fi off.

Hi @MindfulGal, thanks for your post and welcome to the Bell Community. Great suggestion @AlexS 🙂

When you log into your modem portal via 192.168.2.1 select Manage my Wi-Fi to turn Whole Home Wi-Fi ON & OFF.

You should then see the Advanced Wi-Fi Setting menu. From there you can turn off the Wi-Fi radios by using the ON/OFF slider.

Advanced WiFi Settings2.PNG

Hi, I just got Bell FTTH this week. I simply cannot shut the 5.0 Ghz WiFi off! When I disable it, it comes back as a hidden network. Disabling does not mean to stop broadcasting the SSID, it means to shut if off.

I suspect that the 6.0 Ghz does the same.

The WiFi power slider seems to be broken, too. 10% is 1/10, a tenth of the strength. Not a few dB less than 100%.

gmd
Contributor II

Should I report my unit as having a bug?

Hi there @gmd. Welcome to the Bell Community 🙂

Interesting scenario. Are you able to share a screen shot of what you see (ensure you remove any personal information)?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

- Patricia

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

I believe there are still hidden wifi channels which support Fibe TV and the pods which remain active. You can turn off some but not all wireless signals. It also depends on the modem. 

Hi Patricia, a simple wifi analyzer on Android shows the hidden signal (hidden as having no broadcasted SSID).

Also, after turning 5.0 Ghz and 6.0 Ghz off, if I go under "Advanced tools and settings" / "Diagnostics", I see that 6.0 Ghz is off, but not 5.0 Ghz.

gmd
Contributor II

If I go under Statistics/IGMP, I see that my FibeTV box is connected through RADIO5G although it is hardwired with Ethernet straight to the modem/router.