Home Hub 4000 5GHz advanced settings not working

rosbif35
Contributor

I have the HomeHub 4000. I am in a residential area with lots of wireless signals and the optimise my wifi is complete pants, everything just sits in the same channel.  I unchecked that option and can set the 2.4GHz signal to a less crowded channel (and this updates), but the 5GHz signals, despite changing in the config, do not actually update, and sit in the crowded channel, whichever channel I try to choose on the config.

Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers, frustrated Brit in Ottawa

24 REPLIES 24

BellPatricia

Hi there @rosbif35. Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Bell Community.

Very interesting! The modem should automatically detect less crowded channels. Is that not the case for you?

If you haven't already we recommend resetting your modem to factory settings, and then try to change the Wi-Fi settings. For a step by step check out How to reset my Home Hub 4000 modem to factory settings Opens in a new tab or window

Keep the Community posted, we're interested to know how everything goes.

- Patricia

BellPatricia

Hey @rosbif35.

I wanted to follow up to see if you are still experiencing an issue when saving 5GHz advanced settings.

Let us know. We would love to look into this further if you still need help 🙂

- Patricia

In a related issue: I just got fibre to the home, home hub 4000. Like rosbif35 user, I find that the WiFi router selects the most crowded channel in the 2.5GHz band (My channel 6 has 1 weak network, channel 11 has 5 or 6 networks. The router adds to the pile-up on channel 11). I suppose I can override that by turning off the "optimise my wifi". I have not tried this because I am not sure what "optimise my wifi" does. Does it just attempt to select the least used channel, or is there more to it? ...Gord in Ottawa

Hey there @Gord_R, thanks for reaching out to the Bell Community 🙂

We do recommend that you leave Whole Home Wi-Fi turned on. This allows the Home Hub 4000 to optimize the Wi-Fi connection automatically throughout your home so you get the best possible Wi-Fi performance/connection. 

Test that out, and let us know how everything is working.

- Patricia 

Gord_R
Contributor III

Hi,

I have left the "Whole Home WiFi" on, I have never tried to turn it off. The WiFi channel that it picks is counter- intuitive. It started on the most crowded channel in my area, channel 11. 2 days later it went to the channel 1, also fairly crowded. Then it went to channel 6, which is (by far, and consistently so) the least congested channel (1 network right now) . I thought maybe it had figured things out, but this morning, it's back on channel 11, sharing it with 6 networks.

You might think that this is academic. However, we are noticing that the internet drops out for 3-5minutes at a time daily. Last one was 7:56AM today (Tuesday Feb 14). It happens on all computers/phones at once; not sure about the TV yet. It appears that the WiFi connection is still there, but without internet, so it may have nothing to do with the WiFi channel changing every day. So, today, I will set up a computer connected directly to the router by ethernet (no WiFi) and will have it ping the outside world every 30 seconds and see if the pings stop when we experience an internet outage. If it keeps working during our internet problems, then the problem is the WiFi, and I will try turning off the "whole home WiFi" optimization to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

...GR

Hey @Gord_R.

Very interesting, since the modem should automatically connect to the less crowded channel.
Do you see any error message on the modem when the Wi-Fi stops working?
Does it reconnect automatically, or do you need to reboot everything to get back online?

Keep the Community posted on how all of your testing is going. We're interested to hear how everything works out, and will be here to help if you do need further assistance.
- Patricia

Hey @BellPatricia I was wondering if I could get the latest firmware for the gigahub modem. My tech told me it might resolve the speed issues I'm having since I upgraded from 3G to 8G service. I'd like to try it out, please and thanks!

ZaneP
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Hi @BDAS 

From what I know, you need to make a request for the firmware update in this Community Forum. @BellPatricia will respond  there.

Cheers,

ZaneP

I don't work for Bell, I'm just a customer

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Hi Gord_R

Networkery is my bag, whilst not wifi specific, I know enough. The whole home wifi is a crock... I analyse before and after it does its magic, and it is patently rubbish after the magic happens. I have to rebuild the wifi channels again manually, and I can define where there are gaps in the massively crowded space out here in the 'burbs of Ottawa.

If I set it and forget it, then access my set up with the Bell app on the iphone, it reverts to the whole home thing again, and my kids complain. So I had to uninstall the app, to stop the reversion.

Honestly, despite the great fibre, the execution of the hub is pants. I'm tempted to buy a 3rd party router, but I'm a mean bugger, so I won't.

Cheers