Cannot connect to Wi-Fi

encar03
Contributor

why my bell modem Giga hub cannot detect my wi-fi connection on my computer

45 REPLIES 45

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Connect with a wired connection from a Windows computer.

Then drop down to a command prompt and type in ipconfig

It should display an IP4 address, Subnet mask and Default gateway for your network adaptor.

The IP4 address should be in the range of 192.168.x.x, so should the default gateway

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Connected directly to the Giga hub by wire and I get an IP of 169.254.42.60 which I know that its an address that the device assigns to itself when it can't get a valid IP from the router (I can see the connection in the my devices tab of the giga hub (wired).  I've tried rebooting the router, the laptop, using three other laptops and always have the same issue.  If I connect wirelessly, I am connected to the router (I can see the connection in the my devices tab of the giga hub (wirelessly) but no internet...

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Is the DHCP server turned on in the home hub? Without DHCP, you will not be able to automatically get an IP address on any network device.

Try the Bell virtual repair tool as i can fix many common issues.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Yes DHCP server is turned on the hub since I have nearly 46 other devices connected and working.  The virtual repair tool starts and then gives me a 'Internal Server Error' Now even my iMac keeps disconnecting from the wifi and I never had that issue before with my apple clients

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Is there anything else connected to the home hub, like another router, managed switch?

I do have a managed switch now connected to it but even when I disconnect it I still have the same issues.  Weird that all my fire sticks also work fine to watch the tv with the Bell tv app.  You think the managed switch can be causing something with the giga hub.  I had the switch removed and plugged the laptops directly wired to the giga hub and they still don`t work... 

Vanadiel
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

A managed switch will have a static IP to connect to it, and with a level2/level3 switch it can act as a routing device and provide services like DHCP and VLAN management.

What I suggest is disconnect all devices from the home hub, reboot the home hub, and connect a single wired device directly to one of the LAN ports on the home hub.

If it still does not connect, ipconfig /release and ipconfig/renew should provide a connection, unless you have the TCP/IP connection properties setup to static IP addresses on each computer.

My Dell laptop 3000 series which has Intel AC3610 wifi adapter. I am not able to connect the bell giga hub wifi for some reason. I have much older laptop that is able to find the wifi network. Seems like specific to wifi adapter problem and I am not sure how to fix the issue. The adopter has 802.11.a/b/g... but not 802.11.c. any solution available?

ok so I had one of my buddies that knows more this stuff than I and I think we figured it out...  I had a TP-Link range extender in the garage for my charging station and once we removed it it seems to have fixed the problem.  I guess the range extender was also giving it IP addresses...  I will still closely monitor why it suddenly started happening as everything was working before fine

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Thank you for your question. Can you be a little more specific? Have you run the Wi-Fi troubleshooter in your operating system (presuming Windows 10 or 11)?  Have you run the Wi-Fi troubleshooter on the MyBell support page from the computer which is able to connect?