Gigahub and IPv6

SteveD
Contributor

In early October I switched from a third party internet provider that was using Bell’s copper lines to Fibe 3.0. When I made that switch I had issues with a lot of devices on my network, I used my own router using PPPoE pass through, so other than a change in external IP, things remained the same internally. I realized that I wasn’t getting an IPv6 address as part of the connection. 

i bypassed my equipment and connected directly to the Gigahub and couldn’t find any hint of configuration for IPv6 and my laptop wasn’t getting an IPv6 address. 

I called support ad the tech that I spoke to indicated that the next version of the firmware for the Gigahub would support IPv6 and I wanted to get an update. Do we have an ETA for IPv6 on the Gigahub?

23 REPLIES 23

I quickly looked into VPNs with IPv6 support and found one that seems to offer 10GB of traffic a month for free, so I might try to add this to my network using a separate VLAN/SSID.

Also you comment about Bell joining the 21st century is a bit strange, the first RFCs for IPv6 came out in the 20th century, so I would consider this them joining the 20th century.

snowblower
Regular Contributor

I give them a break until 2017 when the draft standard was finally ratified.  After that, they are being complacent and living in the past. IMO

Zadigre
Contributor III

I seriously do not understand why IPv6 is not already available.

I currently have Five 3.0... and considering switching to a "slower" cable provider to get IPv6. I need IPv6 to access and test some part of our network when I work from home. Using a tunnel may work... but it's definitely not optimal. 

iteoc
Regular Contributor

I have a number of Bell Fibe TV boxes and was very surprised to learn that each of these TV Android boxes had for its ID what looks like a ipv6 address … can anyone from Bell confirm this?

Zadigre
Contributor III

can you give an example of what you are seeing?
TVs are on their own vlan/network... so I'm not really surprised to see they may be using IPv6 internally. 

iteoc
Regular Contributor

If you are a Fibe TV Box subscriber go to Settings scroll down to System Info and that's where you will see the ID that I believe looks very much like a ipv6 address.

I would post a Screen shot except that would violate the TOS on this fourm due to the sensitive info that is presented....

Zadigre
Contributor III

IPv6 should be something like 2001:1234:4567:7890:abcd:1234:4567:7890. Is this what you are seeing?

iteoc
Regular Contributor

Yes it Looks similar …

Zadigre
Contributor III

that's one more proof bell is ready for IPv6. I don't know what they are waiting for exactly

Just wondering if ipv-6 is still not a possibility in the setting of the modem ?