Data roaming charges while Cellular Data is off

SomeScreenName
Contributor

One of the phones on my plan went to the US for a month. They turned Cellular Data off in Canada and didn't turn it back on until they got back. They were charged for 4 days of roaming for data events while there, and no one can explain why. One customer service rep said it was because WiFi assist was turned on, but apple says that WiFi assist won't switch to cellular if you are roaming. How do I know what really happened so it doesn't happen again for the other travel to the US we have planned?

17 REPLIES 17

I go to florida 2 a year for 6 weeks.  This year when I got my bill on returning there was 7 days of roaming.

Before I crossed into USA I turned Data off and it was still off when I returned to Canada.  When I called Bell to inquire they told me that the only way was to remove sim card.  I have being doing this for 30 years Y now.  I cant belive that I have to remove the sim.  Does turning off Data no longer work

Whats going on

Rick

To avoid roaming charges when outside of the country you can remove your SIM card. That is one method.

You can also turn off Data & Roaming in your device settings. This will avoid data roaming charges on your device by disabling the function altogether and using Wi-Fi instead. To turn off data roaming, select Settings > Cellular > and move the Data Roaming slider to off. When this setting is turned OFF, you will no longer have access to data services (email, web browsing, etc.) over a mobile network and data roaming charges will not be incurred. This does not affect text or voice usage. Keep in mind, that data roaming charges will apply when you choose to manually check email or sync contacts and calendars over a mobile network.

The easiest method to avoid all roaming charges is to turn on the Airplane mode setting on your device. You can also use airplane mode to avoid roaming charges when travelling. You won't be able to send or receive text messages or phone calls, or use data services, but you could connect to a Wi-Fi network to check your email or browse the internet. This by far is the safest method of avoiding all roaming charges. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth can also be enabled separately while the device is in airplane mode.

Hopefully this has been of assistance to you. Thank you for reaching out to the Bell Community Forum. 

Take care. 

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Your not understanding the problem.  Several post have said thats what there doing as well as myself put the roaming charges still appear on the bill after turning Data Roaming off.  

Can you explain Y

I am overseas and i havent used my phone but i am getting charged for roaming. I dont want to use my pgome while i am out of the country. Y am i being chatged i havent used any data or made calls or text

WelshTerrier
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

Although you may not be using Roaming, your device can access data unknowingly to you. If you do not completely power your device off and / or turn off roaming & data, your device can be doing updates, etc.

The surest method to avoid any further roaming charges is to turn your device Airplane mode to on. This will eliminate any potential future  You will still be able to connect to a Wi-Fi  network & use Bluetooth. You would just need to turn them on manually.

Take care.

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

I received similar message for $16/day with  roam better while i am in China. but I didn't turn on data roaming at all. it is always disabled. how is the roaming charge enabled? receiving message text (by the way, I haven't opened the message yet)?

Can you help to clarify it? can you also suggest how to avoid the roaming charges? i do need to receive message text randomly due to so many two-way authentication services.

I have this issue right now and am on with a Bell rep that has no idea why.  Small packets of data triggered roam better charges even though data roaming is always off.  This is definitely a Bell issue that they can't figure out.  I shouldn't have to turn my phone to airplane mode when data roaming is off.  Bell get your act together

User09
Contributor II

This isn’t an issue specific to Bell. If you Google this problem you will get threads from lots of customers with other providers.