Long distance charges on "Other carrier"

jrpankratz
Contributor II

I am wondering how it can happen that I am offered an unlimited long distance package but still get charges for other carriers? Does anyone else have this problem?

3 helpful replies

Accepted Solutions

BellPatricia

Hey @jrpankratz. Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community. 

Have you ever used another long distance provider?

What you're describing sounds like you're using long distance with another provider. This is when your Home Phone service is with one carrier, but your long distance is provided through another. 

From your home phone you can dial 1-700-555-4141, and that number should tell you who your long distance provider is.

Let the Community know if you have any other questions. 

- Patricia

View reply in original post

Hi @jrpankratz, thanks for getting back to the Community.

Unfortunately, we're unable to speak specifically to your long distance being with another provider. But, it sounds like you may have experienced what's called 'Slamming'. Check out this CRTC page on LD slamming and what to do about itOpens in a new tab or window

jrpankratz
Contributor II

I was finally able to resolve this a few weeks ago. I hadn't updated for a while, but as Marka47 mentions, it seems to be a very tough issue to solve. At one point, I even had both a Bell and Primus representative on the same call so that the Bell person could know for sure the Primus had no claim on my service, and had not for many months.

That Bell person ended the call by assuring me that he knew the problem and how to fix it, and it would certainly be fixed by the weekend. It was not fixed. Next month, I had another charge from YAK on my account.

I was so frustrated. I searched all over the Bell pages for help and found a link to escalate issues. I wrote a very nice email on that page, and someone replied. Then it was fixed. 

13 REPLIES 13

BellPatricia

Hey @jrpankratz. Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community. 

Have you ever used another long distance provider?

What you're describing sounds like you're using long distance with another provider. This is when your Home Phone service is with one carrier, but your long distance is provided through another. 

From your home phone you can dial 1-700-555-4141, and that number should tell you who your long distance provider is.

Let the Community know if you have any other questions. 

- Patricia

Hi @BellPatricia 

That was very helpful. The 1-700 number says "Your long distance provider is YAK".

What? I have no idea how this happened! 

We used to be with Primus, and switched over to Bell a few weeks ago. We were told that the cutover would be handled by Bell. That cutover happened, and then we started getting these charges.

I didn't ask for this, so I'm not sure how to proceed. 

Any ideas?

Thanks, again, and thank you for any additional help.

James

Hi @jrpankratz, thanks for getting back to the Community.

Unfortunately, we're unable to speak specifically to your long distance being with another provider. But, it sounds like you may have experienced what's called 'Slamming'. Check out this CRTC page on LD slamming and what to do about itOpens in a new tab or window

I am paying Bell for unlimited long distance calls in North America and also getting charges from “Other Carrier”-Yak Telecommunications- which I never heard of before, for the same phone line, on my monthly Bell bill.
Account at my previous provider Primus Canada, was properly cancelled on August 31/2021, when the switch to the new provider Bell Canada was performed. “Other carrier” charges started on December 2021 bill.  Does anybody know how to resolve this, so I do not have to call Bell every month to dispute these charges? Would appreciate it very much.

jrpankratz
Contributor II

I was finally able to resolve this a few weeks ago. I hadn't updated for a while, but as Marka47 mentions, it seems to be a very tough issue to solve. At one point, I even had both a Bell and Primus representative on the same call so that the Bell person could know for sure the Primus had no claim on my service, and had not for many months.

That Bell person ended the call by assuring me that he knew the problem and how to fix it, and it would certainly be fixed by the weekend. It was not fixed. Next month, I had another charge from YAK on my account.

I was so frustrated. I searched all over the Bell pages for help and found a link to escalate issues. I wrote a very nice email on that page, and someone replied. Then it was fixed. 

PTWHY
Contributor

Has the mystery of the YAK Communications charges been solved?  Once I opted to pay Bell for unlimited Canada/US LD, they started adding YAK LD charges for each outgoing call to my account.  When I called in, I had difficulty getting an answer.  Finally, an the operator said it was because I was not calling a bell home phone. Is this correct?  If so, is this not misleading advertising? 

I keep getting a monthly charge from yak communications despite trying to cancel it many times.

Just adding to this discussion...

Yak seriously jacked up their long distance pricing recently, now to 20 cents/minute. I have spent the last few weeks talking to about 20 or 30 people at Bell, and at least 5 at Yak to try to get my long distance cancelled with Yak. This had been an INCREDIBLY frustrating experience. I am told continuously on phone calls from Bell that the problem is fixed, but it never is. Calling 1-700-555-4141 confirms that Yak is still my long distance provider despite what Bell tells me. On my last phone call with Bell, I was informed that I should get a "confirmation number" sent to me in an email to confirm my cancellation of Yak because my long distance is probably not truly cancelled, despite being told at least 3 times from Yak that my service was "terminated".

Is asking for a "confirmation number" the secret passcode that will finally allow me to rid myself of Yak from my phone line? I've called Yak a couple times since then to get a cancellation e-mail. Still waiting. This all seems like very deceitful practices.

kaki jax
Contributor II

Where did you find that link to escalate issue. I'm on the phone with Bell now and I'm not getting anywhere. AND I was told I can't speak to someone else who could help me.