Using PPPoE and DMZ / Advanced DMZ for 'Bridge Mode' use of 3rd Party router on the HH4000

navderek
Contributor II

It would be great if Bell could confirm if they are going to update the FW on the HH4000 to enable a true bridge mode setup...also to stop the Wifi from automatically re-enabling itself anytime the HH4000 reboots itself. These are two MAJOR issues right now with the HH4000 and posted about on many forums (not just here).

It would be great if someone from Bell could chime in and let the community know if it is actually going to address these issues or not? If not, please explain why and please do not point to advanced DMZ as a solution because that doesn't actually work very well and severely impacts the performance on the Google Mesh (or any other pre-existing mesh setup). This is also discussed on many forums both on this one and externally by your customers.

We do realize the HH4000 is relatively new so there can be some improvements. We, as a community, just want to know if Bell plans to make those improvements or not.

Thanks,

-Derek

*Edited & Updated title* @BellDRock 

2 helpful replies

Accepted Solutions

BellDRock
Community Manager

Hi @navderek 

The reboot re- enabling WIFI issue you mentioned has been solved and should not re-occur.

For the Bridge mode portion in your post, the DMZ / Advanced DMZ in the Advanced Tool section of the GUI should provide the necessary functionalities needed. 

Depending on the scenario you want to achieve, in your 3rd party device that should be connected on a LAN port you may also need to do some or all the following configuration tasks:

• Turn off Whole Home Wi-Fi and Primary Wi-Fi network on the HH4K / Enable Wi-Fi on device
  • Turn off DHCP in the HH4K / Enable DHCP on your device
  • Configure PPPoE settings on your device by either inputting your Bell b1 and password [Bell Internet user ID (e.g., b1xxxxxx)Opens in a new tab or window] - (under the internet tab on the top page of the GUI) or inputting other credentials you may want to use.  This will circumvent the HH4K NAT.

View reply in original post

As explained by BellDRock above, you can simply plug your router into one of the lan ports and put your PPPOE username (b1xxxxx) and password on your own router. It'll have a publicly routable IP and then you'll be able to do whatever you want without the HH4000 in the way.

View reply in original post

114 REPLIES 114

navderek
Contributor II

EXAMPLE:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bell/comments/qap1f2/bell_hh4000_slow_speed_with_my_own_router_dmz/

there are many, many other similar forum posts all over... Bell, are you there? Hello?

krontech
Contributor

It's not really possible, since TV services are also provided through the modem. By bridging the modem you literally cut off the TV service's ability to access the network. DMZ is the correct way to go here. 

What they need to do is improve the advanced DMZ, to specifically work off the connected device's MAC alone, whereas now it operates by MAC and IP. When your IP (public) changes, connectivity is lost because the DMZ is set to the old IP. You have to manually remove the device from DMZ, reboot, and re-add the device to DMZ to restore functionality.

BellDRock
Community Manager

Hi @navderek 

The reboot re- enabling WIFI issue you mentioned has been solved and should not re-occur.

For the Bridge mode portion in your post, the DMZ / Advanced DMZ in the Advanced Tool section of the GUI should provide the necessary functionalities needed. 

Depending on the scenario you want to achieve, in your 3rd party device that should be connected on a LAN port you may also need to do some or all the following configuration tasks:

• Turn off Whole Home Wi-Fi and Primary Wi-Fi network on the HH4K / Enable Wi-Fi on device
  • Turn off DHCP in the HH4K / Enable DHCP on your device
  • Configure PPPoE settings on your device by either inputting your Bell b1 and password [Bell Internet user ID (e.g., b1xxxxxx)Opens in a new tab or window] - (under the internet tab on the top page of the GUI) or inputting other credentials you may want to use.  This will circumvent the HH4K NAT.

Have been doing the Advanced DMZ since I received my HH3000 works fine up to 940/750 give or take. No trouble with remote access via assigned public IP. I would be able to pass 1.5gps if I use HH4000? Yes, I would have a Unifi UDM-Pro.

PS the only reason we don't have 1.5 is I can access it, stuck at 1gps.

Thanks

which has an SFP+ port...

I've lost my network switch's connection to Google WiFi router randomly and I think you just explained to me why. When I re-add the Google WiFi router, do I just put in it's same MAC address?

Indirectelex
Contributor II

I totally agree with Derek these are the two MAJOR issue I get. Of course the bridge mode is way more important then the WiFi but come on guys, we pay our internet at the highest price in the world so lets give us a reasonable good service...

I know the HH4K don't have the Bridge Mode feature, this is a problem to me because I need this to work with my team on my server. Is there a way to solve this problem?

As explained by BellDRock above, you can simply plug your router into one of the lan ports and put your PPPOE username (b1xxxxx) and password on your own router. It'll have a publicly routable IP and then you'll be able to do whatever you want without the HH4000 in the way.