Using PPPoE and DMZ / Advanced DMZ for 'Bridge Mode' use of 3rd Party router on the HH4000

navderek
Contributor II

It would be great if Bell could confirm if they are going to update the FW on the HH4000 to enable a true bridge mode setup...also to stop the Wifi from automatically re-enabling itself anytime the HH4000 reboots itself. These are two MAJOR issues right now with the HH4000 and posted about on many forums (not just here).

It would be great if someone from Bell could chime in and let the community know if it is actually going to address these issues or not? If not, please explain why and please do not point to advanced DMZ as a solution because that doesn't actually work very well and severely impacts the performance on the Google Mesh (or any other pre-existing mesh setup). This is also discussed on many forums both on this one and externally by your customers.

We do realize the HH4000 is relatively new so there can be some improvements. We, as a community, just want to know if Bell plans to make those improvements or not.

Thanks,

-Derek

*Edited & Updated title* @BellDRock 

114 REPLIES 114

My bell hub4000 is collapsing with 25 devices I have , the technician came and told me it was better to install an additional router to help alleviate the load. Can someone help me with the steps to configure the new router ? Thanks !

Hi there @IceyIB 
Thank you for your post. 
Could you please clarify for the Community what exactly the issue you are experiencing is and what you are trying to attempt?

Looking forward to hearing back. 

hi, my problem is that I have the 3.0 Gbps plan and I cannot seem to get the full speed when going through PfSense. I have tried dmz, advanced dmz, ppoe passthrough and I am capping at 1800 download and 541 upload all the time when doing the speedtest-cli command. I have a xeon x5675 for cpu and my cores never goes below 81% idle state. On the HH4K i get 3200 Mbps download and same for upload so I get more then the 3.0 Gbps up and down but not on pfsense. My nic is a x520-da2 from Dell. 

any. Help would ge greatly appreciated thank you

Taurus7774
Contributor III

What do you mean by collapsing? I have tried the HH4000 with 30+ devices with no issues. Now I use my own router because some security features aren't available on the HH4000

Hi Taurus, I have 5 cameras and is mostly when I want to see them all at the same time that my router collapses, It kicks me out for a minute, the cameras go down , no signal,  and then it re establishes the connection. Looks like the router is not that powerful. Even the technician from bell told me to buy another router and link my cameras to the new router.

(strange, came up as "visitor"... I'm really a customer here! :-))

Hi, @BellDRock!

I'm a new Fibe 1.5 subscriber - tech installed GigaHub (firmware version 1.16) yesterday.  Per your suggestion above, I tried configuring my ASUS router (connected to a 1GbE port on the GigaHub) using the Advanced-DMZ feature of the GigaHub.

The router received the router's WAN address, DNS server info properly updated, and etc; GigaHub agrees that the router is in the DMZ.... but network behaviour is very poor:

• from a Windows machine, opening a page is often very slow (over 15s) - but sometimes instantaneous; this looks like DNS problems.
  • Client-side (Windows laptop) speed test failed (to speedtest.net)
    • after starting test, download paused for at least 15s (couldn't load the ads - presumably another DNS problem) and then speed was quite good (960Mb/s, but connection to my router is just 1GbE)
    • upload failed - a long pause, then speedtest.net complained I probably had a double-NAT in the way..

I gave up on that and instead went to PPPoE - I have good performance with that (about 900 Mb/s down, 800 Mb/s up), but I would agree with your position that I'd rather not have my router wrapping/unwrapping PPPoE packets all the time, and instead use the DMZ feature your hardware provides.  Any pointers on where to go to resolve the poor performance and erratic behaviour of the DMZ configuration?  I think the good performance on PPPoE suggests it's not my hardware, but it's quite possible it's my settings that are at fault.

Thanks!

IceyIB
Contributor II

Hi,

i had similar behaviours with admz where my pfsense box was getting a public ip bit I was getting very high pings to bell’s default gateway which resulted in packet loss everytime and very poor internet access performance. I then switched back to pppoe

RYGUY
Contributor II

@navderek it would be great if Bell would tell us anything but, my experience is that we will get nothing. It's hard to fathom how Bell can rollout this Gigahub 4000 in the complete garbage state it is in. I've had it for 2+ months on 1.5 Gbs service and it has only gotten worse over time. I've tried PPoE and Advanced DMZ. Advanced DMZ was unusable. PPoE works but, the Gigahub reboots frequently throughout the day which is a huge disruption. Frankly Bell should be paying us to be the Beta testers of an obviously not ready for rollout service.

@BellPatricia @BellNick 

Hi @tpc 

In your router under WAN, there should be an option under switch control to change port acceleration for type 10G base T and SFP+.

Default would be auto, change both too NSS and see if it resolves your issue.

I believe myself along with countless Bell customers are very frustrated with Bell’s complete disregard for simply adding a bridge mode to their modem/routers. Why are they doing this? I’ve noticed that on every post here Bell simply responds by asking customers to use DMZ. So many users have had endless issues with this and the user interface is not user friendly. All we want is to use our own routers to actually take advantage of the fibre speeds you offer. Can Bell not do something about this?