Using PPPoE and DMZ / Advanced DMZ for 'Bridge Mode' use of 3rd Party router on the HH4000

navderek
Contributor II

It would be great if Bell could confirm if they are going to update the FW on the HH4000 to enable a true bridge mode setup...also to stop the Wifi from automatically re-enabling itself anytime the HH4000 reboots itself. These are two MAJOR issues right now with the HH4000 and posted about on many forums (not just here).

It would be great if someone from Bell could chime in and let the community know if it is actually going to address these issues or not? If not, please explain why and please do not point to advanced DMZ as a solution because that doesn't actually work very well and severely impacts the performance on the Google Mesh (or any other pre-existing mesh setup). This is also discussed on many forums both on this one and externally by your customers.

We do realize the HH4000 is relatively new so there can be some improvements. We, as a community, just want to know if Bell plans to make those improvements or not.

Thanks,

-Derek

*Edited & Updated title* @BellDRock 

121 REPLIES 121

digsmc
Contributor

I completely agree with @Ron_Burgundy  on this one. 

DMZ, aDMZ and PPPoE passthrough are all not proper bridge-mode. 

I've been on Bell, and I've been on Rogers. I love the Rogers modem - straightforward and Bridge Mode is clearly right in front of you. First time I set it up, I essentially circumvent it.

Turn it to Bridge Mode and forget it. Everything goes through my own system.

this is the rogers modem landing page on-boot (after initial setup): Bridge Mode - right there in the centre

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 8.44.38 PM.png

When Bell delivers enterprise internet to corporations and other enterprise environments - do they force the client to use their hardware?

Hello,  we need a solution for the subpar passthrough performance of the H4000. Intermittent slowness and latency.

Bell Internet Speed Test:

Network to Modem = 7818/7665/2ms

Modem to Device = 1335/3188/2ms

Modem is connected via 10Gbps port with a Cat7 Cable to a 10Gbps RJ45 SFP+ port. 

Please allow us to bypass this junk or fix it so we get the speeds we're paying for on our advanced networks. Those who sign up for 3Gbps+ do NOT need bell's modem at the heart of our networks. This a common enough sentiment on the forum. Wasting way too much time with this...

Neb
Contributor II

I agree with @digsmc and  @Ron_Burgundy. Bridge slider is too much to ask it's seams. On top of that they are not reading questions. Question: With 25 devices connected, Bell Hub collapsing/disconnecting, Answer: Because of community can you clarify. All devices: computer, laptop, camera, doorbell, thermostat, etc are pushing data packets. Mind boggling.MN.PNGadmin.PNGpass.PNGgiving misleading information about B1 password. There is NO B1 or b1 user name and password on Bill !!!! And where in the Internet Service Section Exactly we can find B1 or b1 Password???

Neb
Contributor II

When I click on Link: internet service section I got: 

431 Request Header Fields Too Large

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

You might wish to check out the Bell forum on DSL Reports. There are many experienced Bell users there, with a depth of knowledge and similar advanced networks. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/sympat

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

@Neb wrote:

There is NO B1 or b1 user name and password on Bill !!!! And where in the Internet Service Section Exactly we can find B1 or b1 Password???

I hear your frustration. You will find your b1 user name on your bill (on line or mailed) by logging into the Bell web page and clicking on MyBell ==> MyServices ==> and scroll down to your Internet account. Your account name (your b1 user name) is there. You can recover your user name and password here under Manage Your Account On Line. https://support.bell.ca/Internet . Hope that helps. 

I am a Community All-Star and customer. I'm here to help by sharing my knowledge and experience. My views on Bell and the Community Forum are my own and not the views of Bell or any of its affiliates.

Neb
Contributor II

Thank you @dks. It is frustrating that all Internet Provider like to be engaged you in they "environment" 365 days in year and to become your "hobby" resolving simple things like stupid slide button for bridge mode or when I turn off WiFi I am expecting to stay turned off when Modem reboots. I am engineer from DOS time when modem, computers and other equipment is working, if setup correctly. Today I need to go on different sites to resolve problem. That si problem with other IP-s. I had problem with Rogers when dropping connection to 500-1000 ms multiple time in hour and I send them logs from PfSense, Graffana and ping from RasberyPi to they servers which shows drops and they ask me: Did you reset your modem? I cancelled service on spot.

My observation:

-DMZ is limited to 1Gbs also on some systems with PFSense, DD-WRT and Sophos installation PPoe passthrough is limited to 1Gbs. Tested with 1Gbs, 2.5 Gbs and 10 Gbs card Intel, Chellsio and Melanox cards.

- Ping from my home is 4-5 ms, but Download and Upload Latency sometimes going  up to 200ms, that is weird traffic shaping.

Bell attract customers with 1.5Gbs speed, which is gimmick and they are surprised when customers, who have 1Gbs Nic don't have 1.5Gbs speed. so they need to answer more calls. Marketing team is laughing all the way on they mess.

My suggestion for Bell:

-Engineers should contact Sagemcom to implement Bridge button in GUI of modem because you will get much less calls of angry customers. You already have many buttons in Modem GUI, adding one more is not problem.

-If Wifi is off it means off even if I reboot modem 

- Review your traffic shaping policy and don't throttle non-Bell DNS server.

I will forget this for Bell Forum Admin or Moderators: My Modem Firmware is 1.16.5 and Yes I Restarted, Reset and Unplug Modem few times waiting from 10 minutes to 36 hours. 

happysmp
Contributor

Switched from Rogers to bell recently. Was a very long time customer with them. Agree Rogers internet is straight forward for bridge mode. Bell internet (1.5gbps, gigahub 4000) has been frustrating!

internet connection drops, wifi network stability issues, and of course no bridge mode!

Followed the recommended post here with PPPoe. Gigahub LAN to my routers WAN. 
note that turning off DHCP, Bell whole home wifi made the fibe TV receivers unresponsive. Had to turn all that back on again

reading the posts here I didn't realize others were experiencing local wifi issue and that number of devices was contributing to it. 

I have 60 or so devices in my home. No issues after purchasing a new router taking that responsibility away from bell.

dks
Community All-Star
Community All-Star

@happysmp wrote:

Switched from Rogers to bell recently. Was a very long time customer with them. Agree Rogers internet is straight forward for bridge mode. Bell internet (1.5gbps, gigahub 4000) has been frustrating!

internet connection drops, wifi network stability issues, and of course no bridge mode!

Followed the recommended post here with PPPoe. Gigahub LAN to my routers WAN. 
note that turning off DHCP, Bell whole home wifi made the fibe TV receivers unresponsive. Had to turn all that back on again

reading the posts here I didn't realize others were experiencing local wifi issue and that number of devices was contributing to it. 

I have 60 or so devices in my home. No issues after purchasing a new router taking that responsibility away from bell.

New customers who come to Bell from cable systems (full disclosure: I was both a Rogers and Bell customer during COVID for technical reasons; now only Bell) may not realize that the underlying technologies of the two systems are entirely, utterly, totally different. The modems are different, from different manufacturers and with different features, as you point out. I won't debate which is better, because, as the saying goes, "Play the hand you're dealt". Bell won't change their technologies, although I have seen incremental improvements over time.  

You make some important points. Don't turn of DHCP. It can have detrimental effects on your connected devices. Part of that is that because of the underlying system design, the Fibe TV receivers (including satellite TV receivers, I discovered) use hidden wireless channels to connect. The same is true for Whole Home Internet. Users may find their own mesh network or the Bell pods (full disclosure, I have five pods and they work very much to my satisfaction) are possible solutions, as is your solution with your own router. The Giga Hub has had a firmware update to make that an option (kind of like an automatic, internal bridge mode) which works for some. If your solution works for you, great. It really is a matter of trial and error, at times. That's where user communities can often help. I have 23 devices, 21 wireless and 2 wired. They work for me and I hope yours work for you.  

need DDNS support for google domian